6 Speed Transmission Swap

Evanes00

Jan 16, 2019
Washington
I am looking to purchase a 1st gen mustang with either a 289 or 302 and put in a 6 speed transmission. I plan on installing aftermarket performance parts so the tranny should be able to handle some power. Any suggestions on what transmission i should use and what i might have to do to make it work? I dont know all the parts I will have to change. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I'm looking at a 351W stroker build with a 5 speed swap. My understanding is the 6 speed requires you to modify the trans tunnel to make it fit and keep proper driveline angles. The same is pretty much the same with the after market 5 speeds but I think one will fit with out mods to the tunnel. Forgive for not knowing the info off the top of my head.

What I have discovered is the T5 from 87-93 and the 94-95 models can be built and or bought built to handle 600hp and 500 ftlb of torque in a 3000lb car with slicks. This is the route I am currently researching.

As for what needs to be change you can search for kits to do the swap and you will see what the kit has and what is needed to be changed in order to make it work. I really suggest spending some time searching the net for any questions. Nothing wrong with posting here but it will give you a better understanding of what others may be talking about.

Thanks for the replies! I think I've decided on a much bigger project than proposed. I plan to use the mustang just as a shell and use a 93- 02 camaro with the 5.7 v8 and 6 speed manual. Swap everything over; engine, trans, drive train, e-brake, etc. This way I have a 6 speed transmission without mixing up different parts. What do you guys think? More modern, more powerful, easier to modify, and all in the beautiful body of a 1st gen mustang.

Why is it that lots of the threads these days involve people wanting to chop up their car (99% never finish them) to improve (fill in the blank) rather than try to improve the car within the envelope of the vintage Mustang? I own an '02 Roush and my '68 with a 302 will stomp the daylights out of it both from a roll and from a standing stop. I work on my '68 with lots of room, anyone who tells you they can do the same with a mod-motored anything is a liar. And then there's this guy who wants to cut up his Camaro to help drop the value of his Mustang quicker. Please, do what the rest of the car world does these days, go down to the dealer and BUY what you want, you don't have the talent or time to build a car. Yes, you'll likely sell the new car within a year because you can't afford it, but at least you'll be able to sell it. Start dropping a Chevy engine into your Mustang, and the only thing you'll get is a constant stream to WTF's.