64 1/2 POWERSTEERING PROBLEMS

64-1/2_stang_26

Dec 19, 2004
The ball stud in the powersteering control arm is loose. The steering wheel is very sloppy. I have replaced the whole unit once. 1 year later it becomes loose again. i then put a rebuild kit in it witch came with a new ballstud and all the pieces aroundit. 1,000 miles later its loose again. I don't know what to do. Is there anything i could try or is it just a notorious mustang thing that im gonna have to live with????

• Sponsors (?)

The ball stud normally just controls the power control valve, and the power assist does most of the work of moving the drag-link, so normally the ball stud shouldn't see a lot of wear. However, when you turn the steering wheel while the engine is off, or if you try to turn while the car isn't moving so that the power assist is insufficient to turn the wheels, then the steering system acts just like manual steering, where the pittman arm pushes the ball stud all the way to one side until it bottoms out agains its seat, and then pushes some more until the whole drag link moves to turn the wheels. I suspect that you are probably doing a lot of turning while at a full stop. I don't know for sure, but it might also be caused by inadequate power assist due to a bad pump.