65 289 Hipo Motor

tiltguru

May 6, 2015
Hello Stangnet,

This is my first post. Lurked from time to time.
I have a 1965 289 k code motor that is not original to my car. I'm considering selling it because it is a rare motor that should probably find a home in someone's GT, GT350 etc, instead of getting blown up at the drag strip.
I'm trying to gauge interest and see what the value is.
We just dynoed it, running beautifully.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Nick

• Sponsors (?)

the first thing you have to do is determine if it really is a hipo motor. the obvious things like the main caps and the small add on counterweight on the crankshaft are two signs that are easy to duplicate. somewhere there is a list of things to look for to determine if a 289 is really a hipo motor or not.

Ok I'll check. My dad said it was hipo.
I don't know much about these things, but from what he said, he got it directly from the hipo dealer.
The main caps on the top seem fairly big.
Where is the counter weight?
Is that on the same side as the belts?
I noticed someone drilled holes on the large gear on the starboard side. Is that a problem?

Hey sorry guys, my second post was a sarcastic joke. No disrespect stangnet community. I was feeling jumpy, and the first post came off as brutally condescending. lol.
In any event, I'm aware of all the hipo ear marks and potential fakes. This is a legit running 1965 hipo motor.
Heads are screw in studs. Two dots. Valve spring cup.
Hipo bob weight is there. Smaller timing chain (outer gear is plastic btw)
Big main caps. Connecting rods are 3/8"
Vin is also stamped on the side of the block and that checks out.
We just finished an engine dyno and it hit 268 hp at 5800 rpm.
Happy to answer all questions!

Cheers