65-70 spindle flaming river rack granada spindles

reliable

Oct 3, 2009
I would think someone has run across this before.

I have a 66 v8 drum brake car that I am restoring, In the process I opted for a brake upgrade so I ordered the ssbc drum disc conversion, 4 piston k/h style calipers. My problem starts when I decide to add a flaming river rack and pinion to the car, the rack is set up for granada spindles.
The tie rod mounting hole will not fit the spindle, So I just happen to have a set of 70 drum spindles that will fit the tie rod mounting hole however the 70 spindle uses a much larger bearing journal so the rotors will not fit.
So here is my question. Do I #1 drill the 66 spindle tie rod hole to accept the joint? (I am alittle scared about not getting the right taper size on the spindle) #2 Not sure if this will work press out the race for the bearing on the hub for the 66 spindle and replaced it with the 70 style race and bearing to use the 70 spindle. I like option 2 better if it will work

Unfortunately I cannot swap the brakes or rack

Thanks Paul

• Sponsors (?)

Using 1970 spindles is no problem. They use larger bearings, but the good thing is that the bearing OD is identical as the earlier ones. You just need to buy bearings for a 1970 Mustang (A12 and A13 for inner and outer) and use them instead, including the races.

That being said, I would also advice against the FR rack. From what I've seen, the total steering rod length (inner to outer pivot point) is about 4" shorter than stock. No wonder people are having bump steer issues :eek: