65 stang 3 speed vibration while shifting

tinfixer

Aug 27, 2006
Northern, VA
I just picked up a 65 mustang 200ci, speed. While shifting into 1st and I get this horrible shudder. Once I get driving its ok, but going into 1st scares me. The clutch feels OK, but who knows. Any ideas would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

tinfixer said:
I have tried that, but it seems like there is a very fine line to make the car move without shaking.

That is quite typical for an Inline 6 with a three speed. Remember, that's not a little teeny Japanese motor with a tea saucer for a flywheel. That motor and trans could just as easily be happy in an F-100 farm truck. Start off like you're driving tractor and use the torque to get it moving.

tinfixer said:
I think this car has the original clutch. How is the clutch to replace?

Not hard at all. But, if it is original it wouldn't hurt (and would be recomended) to remove the flywheel and have it machined as well.

I did drive the car more and it is one of those things you have to get used too. But everytime I start out I have to start sooo slow, just seems odd. I think being that I don't know the condition of the clutch I might be changing it. Do you know of a good website where I can get everything I need to do the job..