66 200 6 cyl having ignition/timing problems?

haze187

Founding Member
Sep 9, 2001
NYC, LA, PHOENIX
ok when I start it, I have to have the pedal all the way to the floor, or it will die. Every now and then I can get it to run fine, but the problem still exsists everyday. The car will also cut out while driving, and the automatic tranny will jump in RPMs! then it will hook back up.

The points were very loose, the metal plate that they are on was all over the place, I put another washer under that c clip to hold it steady, but still the problem exsists.

should I just buy that thing that converts to electronic ignition, but I would like to fix this first so I can at least drive the thing.

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like the breaker plate is completely worn out, which means the points will never hold a constant gap, so it'll run erratically and crappy. A rebuilt dizzy is $38 at autozoo. The electronic conversion won't compensate for the dizzy being shot.
HTH
--kyle

haze187 said:
whats this I hear about a dizzy from a 75ish ford 200 and a little module thing? can anyone shed some light?
That would be the Ford Duraspark dizzy setup. Nice and reliable and cheap. You need a dizzy, why not do Duraspark?

It's $50 at autozoo for a 75 maverick 200 I6 dizzy and $48 for the box.
HTH
--Kyle

5.0ina66 said:
That would be the Ford Duraspark dizzy setup. Nice and reliable and cheap. You need a dizzy, why not do Duraspark?

It's $50 at autozoo for a 75 maverick 200 I6 dizzy and $48 for the box.
HTH
--Kyle

That was the one that Jeep borrowed for it's sixes. I had that set-up in my Renegade. Reliable, barely ever had to touch it. The only weak spot was the C-clip holding the pick-up plate in place would occasionally break. I've had to repair it on Fords too.