66 coupe front cross member

bdavis

Jun 21, 2005
Ofallon MO
I just purchased a 66 coupe and needed access to the oil pan and had to cut out the original bolt in cross member that is underneith the pan. It was welded and had broken bolts stuck in the holes. I was curious if I had to install a new one? I guess I'm not sure its needed. I have solid motor mounts so it looks to me that they would hold more than that light weight bar. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Beau

• Sponsors (?)

You should fish out the broken bolts. I had to do this on one of mine. I carefully drilled out the center of the broken bolt using a drill almost as large as the bolt hole. Just don't use one so large that it will drill out your threads. This allowed me to work out the remains of the snapped off bolt - an Easy-out will almost surely fail to remove one of these frozen bolts. I ran a tap through the bolt hole afterward to clean it up and then put in a fresh bolt. As stated above, this x-member provides most of the lateral rigidity between the framerails and you should not drive without it. In fact, there are stronger x-members available (I think Cobra Automotive has them) to replace the wimpy stockers.