'66 Fastback rear shock installation.

Edster

Founding Member
Aug 13, 2000
League City, Texas
I was loking to install some shocks but could not figure out how to get the rear panel (the one behind the seatback) off to access the upper shock mounts. I can get it to slide back and forth about a 1/2 inch but can't remove it. I looked for some sort of clip or lever but didn't see anything. I know ther's gotta be a way to get that panel out but how? The factory manual was of little help as it had no description on how to remove that rear panel that is behind the seat back. Anybody know the trick to gettin it off?

• Sponsors (?)

There are four screws (well, 6 technically) Take the chrome brackets off. THen, towards the front of that panel (towards the front of the car) are two more long screws. THey may be hidden by the carpet pile. FInd them. Remove them. Carefully pry the front edge up, and pull it towards you. It will slide out. You will see the spring clips underneth on the rear of the panel. There are brackets welded in n the rear that it slides in on and the rear screws go through to the clips and draw up tight.

Check out this picture I boosted off ebay. THe part you are trying to remove is in the top of the picture. THis is a view from the bottom, looking at the rear edge. You can see the clips that I was refering too. Lift the front edge up and pull it towards you like I said. Should come right out. In fact, this is the only way to get to the bolts to get the rest of the fold down seat out. But you should not need to do that if you are only trying to get to the shocks.

Attachments

• d698_1.jpg
    d698_1.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 635
Thanks, I'll check it out. The picture is just as I thought the piece would look like. The four screws would be the little oval/oblong foot rest for the seat back? Correct? once the little oval pieces are removed that will give me access to the screws for the spring clips, correct? I tried prying up the panel but gave up after I felt resistance, I was afraid to break something. So what have told me makes sense. I suspected there were screws under the footrests but wasn't too sure.
Thanks for your help.
Chris

TOtal of six screws. Four holding the foot stop brackets-two each. And two at the front. One on each side. Buried in the carpet. You cant see them cause they have been there so long, the carpet pile has "washed" over the heads of the screws. FInd these two screws. THese go down into the hinge/bracket for the front part of the fold down seat. THe clips you see in the picture are at the rear and are held in by one screw on each side at the rear. You have those out. Get the front ones out and you can then lift up the panel and slide it out.