66 I6 Autolite 1100 Install Won't Start

cptawesome

Jun 24, 2014
Spanaway, WA
I'm new here but not new to wrenching. I have a 66 I6 200 complete rebuild long block to stock specs. Upgraded ignition from custom inline with DBI II kit that they recommended. With #1 faceing 3 O'Clock when standing infront of engine looking in. (This is different from how it was with old distributor #1 faceing 12 o'clock). Changed from 1940 to autolite 1100 carb because it died when it got worm. Now it wont start. Tried to start with starting fluid but stops as soon as it burns off. Have fuel and spark. Tried changing timing with dustributor back to original 12 oclock position( I know to time with #1 in TDC of compression stroke) Any thoughts? There is no room for fuel inlet valve that connected to front of carb on 1940, but as it is only to assist in cold starts from what I read so I believe it's no big deal to go without. So it is not installed. Distributor vacume advance is connected to carb not intake. As shown on stock setup. Auto trany, with auto/temp choke controlled through heater line comming off exhaust manifold. Has spark assist valve on carb.

• Sponsors (?)