66 Mustang Coupe rear quarter panel allignment

Scuba_Steve

Jan 24, 2013
I just picked up a 66 Mustang Coupe. The previous owner started the restoration but stalled. I found that he had removed ALL the body panels to include cutting out the rear quarter panels without re-installing any of them. The only things that are in the original position are kick panels and the roof. Where do I start with my alignment and welding to make sure it is square?

• Sponsors (?)

Hopefully the PO left the floor in place so you basically have a symmetrical car to start with. I'm a relative newbie but I'll throw you my .02 and see if anyone else agrees or disagrees.

I think I would be inclined to hang the doors on the car and make sure they don't sag, are closing nice and you have a nice line between the door and the rocker. That should be a good approximate benchmak. Then hang the front fenders and line up with the door and check all gaps.

I suggest doing that first b/c the rear quarters are already off and the replacements will never be a good benchmark for reference. Once doors and fenders are on and aligned nicely you can start to massage the new quarters into place to mate the body lines properly. When I did my drivers side quarter I found that the quarter panel section that mates to the rocker right behind the door was about 3/8" too long and would not allow the quarter to drop down enough to mate the body lines. I had to straighten the flange, cut 3/8" off, re-flange it and then install. Lined up nice. Anyway that's what I would do, right or wrong I think it will get you going. Just remember that the door and fender can be tweaked a little but those quarters are fixed.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

i would agree with 65 fastback,start with the doors .make a good gap at the rocker and align the front of the door with the front of the rocker. put the trunk lid on and set the front gap and align with with the back window strip sides then go for the quarters.the trunk lid should be in place to fit the quarters .the doors can be adjusted a little if needed for a perfect fit with the quarters keep all the body lines strait before any welding is done. normaly i would make the doors fit there very best before removing the old quarters and use them a reference point for the new quarters. post pics as you go .take your time some adjusting/tweaking may be necessary.