• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

67 6 to 8 Conversion: I need a good Rear end

  • Thread starter Thread starter issawiah
  • Start date Start date Apr 5, 2005
I

issawiah

New Member
Dec 15, 2004
6
0
0
Apr 5, 2005
#1
  • Apr 5, 2005
  • #1
Hey guys,

I have a 67 Convertible that i swapped the 6 for a 351W, I need a good rear end that wont make me go bankrupt. Any Ideas?
 

thehueypilot

Active Member
Feb 25, 2004
1,084
0
37
Medina,Tennessee
Apr 5, 2005
#2
  • Apr 5, 2005
  • #2
I got a 8 inch complete axle assembly that I am replacing with a 9 inch. The 8 inch has 3:50 gears, a traction lock, disc brakes, and stock axles.
 

68rustang

Active Member
Jan 17, 2003
1,537
0
36
Cleveland, OH
Apr 5, 2005
#3
  • Apr 5, 2005
  • #3
what kind of power does/will the 351 be putting out?
 

geostang351

Member
Mar 30, 2005
946
0
17
Danb., CT
Apr 5, 2005
#4
  • Apr 5, 2005
  • #4
Huey, are you saying that you no longer want that 8"??
 

Edbert

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
3,548
32
109
Austin TX
Apr 5, 2005
#5
  • Apr 5, 2005
  • #5
I've got a stock 8-inch rear-end from my 67 sitting in the garage taking up space, where are you located?
 

thehueypilot

Active Member
Feb 25, 2004
1,084
0
37
Medina,Tennessee
Apr 5, 2005
#6
  • Apr 5, 2005
  • #6
I'm saying that I would sell the complete unit for a reasonable sum of cash.
 
I

issawiah

New Member
Dec 15, 2004
6
0
0
Apr 5, 2005
#7
  • Apr 5, 2005
  • #7
thehueypilot said:
I got a 8 inch complete axle assembly that I am replacing with a 9 inch. The 8 inch has 3:50 gears, a traction lock, disc brakes, and stock axles.
Click to expand...
Well i live in lansing michigan
and i will prolly be pushing 350 to 400 hp hopefully

Tell me how much you want and we can make a deal

Ahmed
 

thehueypilot

Active Member
Feb 25, 2004
1,084
0
37
Medina,Tennessee
Apr 5, 2005
#8
  • Apr 5, 2005
  • #8
400 HP is too much for an 8 inch rear end and that is exactly why I am replacing mine before I break it during a race. I don't think it would work in your case either if you have that much power at the rear wheels.
 

Edbert

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
3,548
32
109
Austin TX
Apr 6, 2005
#9
  • Apr 6, 2005
  • #9
Yeah 350 is sort of the limit for the 8, arguably less if you intend to see 12s since the driving style and traction needed to get a 320hp car into the 12s will put so much stress on it.

There ARE some high-performance bits you can get for the 8 that will strengthen it considerably, but that 400 number is definitely over the limit.
 
I

issawiah

New Member
Dec 15, 2004
6
0
0
Apr 6, 2005
#10
  • Apr 6, 2005
  • #10
Anyone know a good way of getting a good rear end at a good price?
 

Edbert

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
3,548
32
109
Austin TX
Apr 6, 2005
#11
  • Apr 6, 2005
  • #11
Junkyards are usually your best bet, but finding classic stangs in them is not as easy as it used to be back in the day. I'd think places like these would be a good place, so many of us have old 8s we pulled in favor of a 9, put a wanted ad into the classified section.
 

classic boost

Founding Member
Feb 3, 1999
709
0
0
canton, oh
Apr 6, 2005
#12
  • Apr 6, 2005
  • #12
issawiah said:
Anyone know a good way of getting a good rear end at a good price?
Click to expand...
8.8 you can build an 8.8 for under $1,000 that can take about anything you can throw at it. parts are plentiful and cheap.
 

69Rcode_Mach1

Active Member
Apr 20, 2004
1,473
1
37
Salt Lake City, Utah
Apr 6, 2005
#13
  • Apr 6, 2005
  • #13
Huey those are some nice numbers you are cranking out with the 427, but those numbers should be a lot higher than that. Should be closer to 400-450rwhp, but I may be wrong, just curious. Either way I'm surprised that 8 inch survived any racing.
 

Edbert

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
3,548
32
109
Austin TX
Apr 6, 2005
#14
  • Apr 6, 2005
  • #14
69Rcode_Mach1 said:
Huey those are some nice numbers you are cranking out with the 427, but those numbers should be a lot higher than that. Should be closer to 400-450rwhp, but I may be wrong, just curious. Either way I'm surprised that 8 inch survived any racing.
Click to expand...
Yeah, the hp numbers seem a bit low for the huge heads, displacement, and cam, but did you notice the torque? 454 foot pounds, at the wheels!
 
D

D.Hearne

New Member
Sep 29, 2000
11,730
6
0
south louisiana
Apr 7, 2005
#15
  • Apr 7, 2005
  • #15
issawiah said:
Anyone know a good way of getting a good rear end at a good price?
Click to expand...
StangNet Classifieds. I have a 9" listed there that will cost you less than doing the 8.8 paul302 talked about.
 

thehueypilot

Active Member
Feb 25, 2004
1,084
0
37
Medina,Tennessee
Apr 7, 2005
#16
  • Apr 7, 2005
  • #16
69Rcode_Mach1 said:
Huey those are some nice numbers you are cranking out with the 427, but those numbers should be a lot higher than that. Should be closer to 400-450rwhp, but I may be wrong, just curious. Either way I'm surprised that 8 inch survived any racing.
Click to expand...

I'm still dialing it in and had some issues at the chassis dyno with an ignition miss. The DUI distributor people told me to open my spark plug gaps to .052" for better performance, but the compression ratio said no at 4-6k. I now have a heat range two steps cooler and gap set to .030" with no miss. If I go back to the dyno the numbers should be a little better.
 
I

issawiah

New Member
Dec 15, 2004
6
0
0
Apr 7, 2005
#17
  • Apr 7, 2005
  • #17
Would a 69 Mustang rear end with 3.23 work for a 67, If not what could i do to make it work?


Ahmed
 

Edbert

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
3,548
32
109
Austin TX
Apr 8, 2005
#18
  • Apr 8, 2005
  • #18
The 69/70 Mustang/Cougar rears will bolt right into a 67/68 Mustang Cougar. I got my 9 from a totaled 69 XR7.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

P
67 Mustang, with the 302 want to convert auto back to the original manual
  • Pdunn
  • May 3, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
2
Views
197
Classic Mustang Specific Tech May 7, 2026
Mcmahst
D
Yet another v8 swap
  • dulcimerbob
  • Sep 19, 2026
  • 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech
  • 2 3 4
Replies
73
Views
1K
1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech Today at 10:04 AM
welder4956
Ford truck engine swap issues
  • keel
  • Jul 7, 2026
  • Other Auto Tech
Replies
17
Views
542
Other Auto Tech Jul 13, 2026
General karthief
S
Brakes 80 Mustang 4.2 rear chassis brake line for 5 lug conversion!
  • StangPowerLSX510
  • Aug 6, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
136
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 9, 2026
limp
J
Rear alignment issues
  • Jayjay001
  • May 27, 2026
  • 2015 - 2023 (S550) Mustang -General/Talk
Replies
1
Views
142
2015 - 2023 (S550) Mustang -General/Talk May 27, 2026
Noobz347
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?