67' Car wont start after changing battery pls help my life

67boo2

Aug 1, 2006
Car ran like a champ before battery died.

day 1. Battery died (2 yrs old)
day 2. Replaced battery with Red top optima, got alternator checked, and replaced volt regulator.
day 3. Car would start but had trouble starting (as if carb wasnt getting gas or no spark). finanally started. all I did was stepped away for 2 hours..ran great.
day 4. tried starting car and it would not start at all. Car turns over but again seems like there is no spark or no gas in the carb. Replaced the fuel filter and still no luck.

I checked the coil and all wires look intact.

any remedies you guys could pass on.

Thanks..
holley carb
crane cams ignition

• Sponsors (?)

hmmm

yes i pulled the alternator and brought it to pepboys and it passed...Im pretty sure i wired it correctly...when it did start, i put a volt meter on there and i was reading 14+ volts..

If it's cranking then it's not an alternator problem. Tho the alternator could be a problem, it's not what's stopping the car from starting.

My guess is that you arn't getting +12V to the coil during cranking/run. Try running a jumper wire from + terminal of battery to + terminal of coil. Don't leave it on for more than a few minutes tho.. this is just a test to see if the car will start.

Anytime your car won't start, you need to first determine if the problem is gas related or ignition related. To do this first pull a spark plug, ground it against something like a bare head bolt and have a freind crank it over. If you get a nice blue spark, then you can eliminate the ignition. Next, take off the air cleaner and look into the carb while you work the throttle to see if the accel pump is squirting gas into the carb. Either one or the other is not working, since engines only need gas, air and spark to run. Once you eliminate one, it has to be the other. It sounds like you're not sure if the culprit is fuel (or lack of it) or spark.

like zookeeper said, an engine needs three things to run, a combustable air/fuel mixture, a spark at the right time, and enough compression to make the power work. likely you have the compression part ok, so check first for spark as that is easiest. if you have a good spark, then check your fuel pump output. disconnect the line at the carb and, using a decent sized container, crank the engine over for a few seconds. the fuel stream should come out strong and even. if it comes out in spurts then you likely have toe replace the pump. if it comes out in dribbles, then likely the fuel filter is clogged.

Crs said:
Try your old voltage regulator.

Voltage regulator would cause a charging problem, not a starting problem.

He mentioned that the car is cranking fine, this means the battery is not dead. He may also have a charging problem, but it's not what's causing the car to not start.

rbohm said:
like zookeeper said, an engine needs three things to run, a combustable air/fuel mixture, a spark at the right time, and enough compression to make the power work. likely you have the compression part ok, so check first for spark as that is easiest. if you have a good spark, then check your fuel pump output. disconnect the line at the carb and, using a decent sized container, crank the engine over for a few seconds. the fuel stream should come out strong and even. if it comes out in spurts then you likely have toe replace the pump. if it comes out in dribbles, then likely the fuel filter is clogged.

Agreed.

Since he mentions that the car started fine until he messed with the charging system I would suggest checking into the spark side of things 1st.

well I tried putting a wire on the +coil to +battery terminal that did not work. SO I guess Ill try to see if i get spark and fuel coming out...the fuel filter is brand new...