67 Steering Column Tube

I have a 67 coupe and have just taken out the pedal support to replace it with a new one. To get the new one back in I want to pull the steering column tube to make it easier but it wont come out. Is it possible to pull the tube on a 67? I see pictures of a lot of 65s without the column tube but since mine isnt budging I'm not sure if its possible. Help?

• Sponsors (?)

I moved you to Classic Talk ,Welcome to Stangnet .

If it is the box with the one piece shaft ,Remove the clamp under the dash ,remove or loosen the clamp at the floor and the tube will slide up the shaft and come out .
If it is the box with the short shaft there is a C clip under the steering wheel that has to be removed ,it retains the top bearing in the column .Remove or loosen the clamp at the floor and it will pull out . Don't forget to unplug the wiring first on both types .

Is your steering wheel still attached? I can speak for the solid shaft model: If yes, that has to come off (held on by one big nut), then unplug the wire harness from the underdash harness, then unbolt the 4 bolts at the retaining plate on the interior firewall. It should come up after that.

Is your steering wheel still attached? I can speak for the solid shaft model: If yes, that has to come off (held on by one big nut), then unplug the wire harness from the underdash harness, then unbolt the 4 bolts at the retaining plate on the interior firewall. It should come up after that.
I have the solid shaft and I've taken off the steering wheel, removed the little wiring assembly, and I never had the clamp at the firewall. Everything is disconnected and it's not moving. I'm assuming it's just stuck? I've tried to get it to slide off by prying it where it's seperated a little bit from the steering box.

It must be stuck to the steering box ,you may have to pry up to get it loose .Have you tried to twist the tube ?I think it is the rubber seal at the end of the shaft in the tube ,it has probably bonded its self ,kind of like a radiator hose does .
That did the trick. Can't believe I didn't try that. Thank you very much

Reactions: 1 user