68 coupe trunk torsion bars

NotSoNic

Jan 1, 2022
California
I took the metal trunk lid off my car and replaced it with a fiberglass GT/CS style lid and now have to hold it down so it doesn't swing back super hard, I've moved the adjustments on both sides as as far back as I could (toward the front of the car) and the lid still swings up like a bat out of hell. is there different springs for metal and fiberglass decklids or am I doing something wrong?

• Sponsors (?)

Is it light enough to have just a prop rod and pull the bars? I hope the manufacturer says what to use, as without a metal frame, I can se it being bent like a racing weight hood.

Is it light enough to have just a prop rod and pull the bars? I hope the manufacturer says what to use, as without a metal frame, I can se it being bent like a racing weigi could
I could remove the torsion bars and use a prop, but with as clumsy as I am I don't think its a great idea, plus imo it would look kinda tacky

and I don't know what you are talking about after your question

Some parts are not made to be used with hinge springs. Hood latches have been ripped out, and hoods bent or cracked if they are designed to be just pinned. Check to see if the maker has put a metal frame in your trunk lid and what they want for springs.

I'd ask the parts guy if he has one with lighter "springs." Going from steel to fiberglass, you took a lot of weight off of them.Also, as others have mentioned, depending on how much you get tin there, it may just be your best move to to take them off altogether and go with a prop rod. I did that for a while with my Foxbody when the hydrophilic lifts gave out.

I would fabricate an additional or add on new metal bracket with new slots for the torsion bars about 4 inches away
In a looser position than the loosest slot there is now. Otherwise I like the above idea of removing one torsion bar BUT
Using just one torsion bar may bend the sheet out of your new decklid

Reactions: 1 user
MTF sells these:

1780814638.jpg

Way too expensive IMO at $550...but you could easily remove the torsion bars and add a strut to the factory hinge instead

It costs money to buy whiskey
Those look real nice

Ha ha, I say $550 is too expensive, but I did just pay an online machine shop to cut me a set of one-off tail light bezels I designed for $400 for the tail light modification I am doing just because I don't think did a good job on tail lights for 65-66 and every time I see the stock bezels I cringe.

Reactions: 1 user