Progress Thread 68 FB Restomod

Hello everyone,

Here in Vancouver BC, this is my first project car and I hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew. My daughter calls it my mid-life crisis and my son calls it my dream car (as I am sure he has dreams of driving it more than me). Will be looking for everyone's help on this journey will post pics as I go.

Car has a PA title, bought it out of NY, sitting in Toronto right now and will hopefully be in Vancouver by next week some time. It came with steering, 9 inch rear and some seat pans.

My hope is for a gen 3 coyote motor and a 6 speed t-56 with IFS or c6 with watts link knock down in the rear.

That's it for now wish me luck

Attachments

• IMG_0572.JPG
    IMG_0572.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0573.JPG
    IMG_0573.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0574.JPG
    IMG_0574.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 55
  • pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 47
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 56
  • pic 4.jpg
    pic 4.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Sponsors (?)

Good luck...whats your plan for the front suspension? To me a Coyote motor isn't worth the compromise of a Mustang II suspension(or a McPherson-strut based suspension). Any 351w can make just as much power as a Coyote after all with a lot fewer headaches. If I were to go with a new Mustang v8 engine and lose the shock towers...I would go with the Voodoo engine instead. One possibility for you to consider is using Boss-429 shock towers...you might actually be able to keep fully functional shock towers that way.

Good luck...whats your plan for the front suspension? To me a Coyote motor isn't worth the compromise of a Mustang II suspension(or a McPherson-strut based suspension). Any 351w can make just as much power as a Coyote after all with a lot fewer headaches. If I were to go with a new Mustang v8 engine and lose the shock towers...I would go with the Voodoo engine instead. One possibility for you to consider is using Boss-429 shock towers...you might actually be able to keep fully functional shock towers that way.
Hoping to use mustangs to fear independant front suspension or their c6 suspension. Either one comes with the weld in cross member. I am still researching but leaning this way as I believe there wouldn’t be a need for any tunnel mod for a t-56 transmission.

I will look into your suggestion, appreciate the comment.

Hoping to use mustangs to fear independant front suspension or their c6 suspension. Either one comes with the weld in cross member. I am still researching but leaning this way as I believe there wouldn’t be a need for any tunnel mod for a t-56 transmission.

I will look into your suggestion, appreciate the comment.

Mustang's to Fear "IFS"(really, what car built since the 50s DOESN'T have IFS anyway?) is just a modified Mustang II suspension, the only advantage it has over say the Heidt's version is the UCAs have a better upper attachment...regardless though, the negative camber gain and suspension travel on any MII based suspension is worse than the stock setup, so you are sacrificing handling(or at least handling potential) for engine bay room. Their C6 suspension certainly looks better, but its hard to say, the UCA still looks pretty short.

Thanks Wicked93gs, you certainly have a lot of knowledge. My shock towers are already cut out and to be honest this is a daily driver, not using it for racing etc. Goal is to get as much new tech to enjoy a reliable trouble free car.

Cheers

For a daily driver/cruiser the MII type suspension should be just fine(did it myself once). Speaking from experience though...engine swaps do not lead to a reliable trouble free car....there are too many corners you have to cut to make it all work. For example...I had to use an oil filter relocation kit(so do many of the Coyote swap guys)...adding that type of kit ads a lot of extra fittings, any of which can leak oil, etc etc etc. Eventually you get all the kinks worked out and end up with a sorted car....but stock engines are always more reliable than swapped engines...its always some little issue you have that isn't quite right.

Reactions: 1 user