69 351W Exhaust Manifold Stud Bolts

GerryL

Mar 1, 2010
RI
I have a completely stock 69 351W. I bought the correct exhaust manifold bolt kit from Mustangs Unlimited that has 8 short bolts, 4 long ones, and 4 long ones with an extra 3/4" of stud above the bolt head. I don't know the reason for the extra 3/4". I talked to their tech guy but even he said he was taking an educated guess since there's not a lot of guys trying to dumb an engine back down like I am. Not knowing what attaches to them I'd like that second opinion to know where these 'stud bolts' go. Are they for the engine lift hooks, a heat shield, etc? All on one side, opposite corners, which side, which corners? You get the drift. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Engine lift hooks and/or heat sheilds. And I'd definately not do business with them after that dumbing down comment.

I didn't mean to mislead on the dumbing down comment. I'm the one who said that. I had a good conversation with MU and their guy was very helpful and gave me some good tips on unrelated questions. I highly recommend them and haven't had any issues with them at all. If they can help they always try to.

Back to my question. Thanks for saying what these bolts are for. Where do they go, which holes in which manifold?

I don't have either so it looks like I'll have to wait to do my install. I've been looking for photos and/or cars that have a plain old undone motors so I can see what I'm building. As expected everybody is doing up these super-duper motors or photos of stock motors focus on complete units with air cleaners, etc so all the routine functional stuff is neatly hidden from view. It's been a real pain to find date correct parts like a cast iron 2V intake and carb, the exhaust manifolds, and misc brackets than it would be to find big block parts! Floating thru swap meets has proven that to me.

What date code parts are you looking for ? I never toss that stuff. Sold a lot of it on ebay. It doesn't bring a lot of money, but it was good steady income selling the little stuff everyone else threw away from stock motors.

You hit the nail right on the head. When everybody wanted bigger and better, brackets and whatnot just became scrap. I've been able to track down pretty much all of what I need over the last few years. Fortunately I enjoy the hunt so swap meets, etc are certainly not a chore.

Question. I've been told that the 69 351W alternator brackets are specific to that year. Last weekend at Carlisle I finally found some as they don't make them repro yet. Bracket C9OE-10156-A and Adjuster C8OE-10145-B. There is a third part shaped like a T that bolts to the side of the head that they do remake so it's easy to get.

At previous swap meets I picked up what I thought were the correct ones as shown in some of the few photos of motors I'd seen before I was told they wouldn't fit. I don't have the part numbers in front of me but one has a D0 ('70) and the other D3 ('73), both bracket and adjuster arm. Shape, size, and bends are all damn close to the C9 and C8. Laying them on top of each other they are virtually identical, identical enough where I don't see why they wouldn't go. Since I haven't gotten a new water pump and alternator yet I haven't been able to test fit anything.

Have you heard of this? 69 351W that accepts only one number bracket and adjuster? Or is it only the T shaped bolt that's the specific item? Thanks.

Yea the 69 Motor used different FEAD parts. I think that's due to maybe them using the passenger side inlet waterpump ? (been years since I looked at a 69, so I'm not sure this is the reason, just a guess) I've parted out two 351Ws recently, a 71 & a 72.