69-70 front fender nuts?

ognil

Jan 12, 2008
On the bottom of the front fender to the rear how in the world does the cage nut attach. The fenders where off this car when i bought it and i can't for the life of me figure out how the new nut goes. You can't get inside the rocker panel and the caged nut won't stay up in there.

• Sponsors (?)

if it is the same as a 65-66, (and it sounds like it is) you pull the fender out slightly,thread a bolt into the nut, and slide it up into the rocker, one end, and then the other... a little window butyl will also help hold it in place. i dont usually put them in until the fender goes on for the last time.

If you have the correct part, and the square hole is straight, it should snap into place and stay there. Here is the corect part:
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?Parta~ShowPicTxt~Z5Z5Z50000016e~Z5Z5Z5EBROW~Z5Z5Z51
That picture is from www.cjponyparts.com

The two tabs sticking out will remain visiable once it's in place. It should slide in the slot from the inside to the outside. Slide in away from the eng comp, the slide back towards the eng compt, and take a screwdriver and snap it in place. THe edges rest on the lip of the square hole. You can go the other way around, but is harder to get a tool to snap it outboard. Easier to pop in n place from outboard going toward the inboard (toward the eng comp). But, the square hole needs to be intact-not rusted. And straight-all edges perfectly straight. You "can" bend the tabs slightly to get a tighter fit, but they are brittle and can snap off. We keep several sets on hand and rarely reuse the old ones as they are always loose and the tabs usually break...

If you look at the picture, the edges have a step bent into them. Can't easily see the back one. THese steps are what rest on the inside of the square hole once it's snapped in place. In the picture the part is upside down. Holding it like that, you would flip it over and lift it up into the square hole.

Hi
Thanks for the info, but i have that part number from CJs and the hole is perfect in the rocker. No rust and not deformed. But the holes on both sides are rectangle and the only way i can get this to work is with the tabs up and that is all that locks it in place. The cage nut is also rectangle and will only fit one way and that is tabs front and back and up. I guess this is the way to put it in but it sure isn't going to hold much. I think i am trying to get a mechanical bond and it looks like it kind of just hangs in there. Parts book shows washer so i suppose you just slide a few inbetween the fender and nut and tighten the fender to the nut is all.
If anyone knows if this is right let me know.
Thanks Jon

Yes, it's a bit rectangular, not exactly square. THe washers are spacers. Actually supposed to be body spacers, but I use washers too. The spacers are simply to align the fender properly.
The cage nut should go in as described.
Here is a picture. Drivers side. Front to the left, rear to the right...

Attachments

• Cowlnut1.JPG
    Cowlnut1.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 309
Hey thanks for the pic i do have it in upside down. I tried it that way and bent the tabs on one so i figured i had it in wrong. Thanks again i better order a couple more and get it right.

THey really can be a pain. You see in the picture that the tabs are inboard toward the eng compt. THat's the direction it should slide to snap in place. You should insert it up into the hole going outboard, push up and slide back. DOn't worry, I've bent up a few. Make sure there is no scale or debris up in the hole where it needs to slide. It's only going to move about a 1/4 inch or so.