Progress Thread 69 Cougar won't start

Hello,
Its my first time here. I can use some help.
I have a 69 Cougar with a 351w. I was driving the car and it just died. I got it home and started to look into the problem.
The car turn over just fine.
When you are cranking it over it barks and wants to start. When you stop cranking it, it dies.
So.... fuel and the card checked out. New fuel pump and carb was rebuilt. New fuel filter.
I replaced the ignition switch.

What could it be? any help would help. :)

Thanks,

• Sponsors (?)

A few quick things to check first.
Are you getting a good strong spark at the plug? Solid 12v to the pos side of the coil?
Are you sure you are getting plenty of fuel?
Check your points to see if maybe they are loose and closed up on you.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for you help!
Fuel is good. When I hold the key on it the start mode the car runs.
With the key in the on position I do not have 12v at the coil.
Thinking more about this problem.... the was not running great before the not running problem. It would start off ok but after running for a short period of time it would not want to get up and go.
I do appreciate the help.
Thanks Jeff

Ok we are narrowing it down. You could have a bad solenoid but I'm thinking it may be at you ignition switch. Of course you know there is a start position that connects that 12v to the coil for starting but when you let go of the key then the run position should maintain that 12v supply. It doesn't sound like its doing that.
Could be a loose connection or a faulty switch.

This is what I would do first just to rule out other issues. Make a jumper wire and run it from the pos side of the battery and strait to the pos side of the coil. This bypasses both the solenoid and the ignition (this is how us old guys hotwired mustangs so easy back in the day). Then with that jumper in place start the car normally. It should stay running after you let go of the key. Let it run and warm up and see how its runs that way. You can even drive it around just make sure the wire is attached securely and routed away from the fan or anything that it could get tangled up in. Now to turn the car off you will have to pull that jumper off cause the key will not shut it off. Also don't leave this wire attached for a long period unless the car is running or it will run your battery down. Let us know what you find.

The idea of the jumper wire should do the trick to test that theory. Your solenoid has a wire that sends 12VDC to the coil in the start position and drops that 12VDC when you release the key to run. At that point you are feeding 6-8VDC to the coil through the resistance wire.

Ok we are narrowing it down. You could have a bad solenoid but I'm thinking it may be at you ignition switch. Of course you know there is a start position that connects that 12v to the coil for starting but when you let go of the key then the run position should maintain that 12v supply. It doesn't sound like its doing that.
Could be a loose connection or a faulty switch.

This is what I would do first just to rule out other issues. Make a jumper wire and run it from the pos side of the battery and strait to the pos side of the coil. This bypasses both the solenoid and the ignition (this is how us old guys hotwired mustangs so easy back in the day). Then with that jumper in place start the car normally. It should stay running after you let go of the key. Let it run and warm up and see how its runs that way. You can even drive it around just make sure the wire is attached securely and routed away from the fan or anything that it could get tangled up in. Now to turn the car off you will have to pull that jumper off cause the key will not shut it off. Also don't leave this wire attached for a long period unless the car is running or it will run your battery down. Let us know what you find.
Question…68 XR7 having similar issues. We made the jumper wire and the car started right up. Could it be a malfunctioning solenoid or other issues? Done pretty much everything else and stumped at this point.

Yes, if you make a jumper and it resolves the starting issue, you have a bad solenoid. They’re not expensive and are easy to replace. Replace it, then turn the key to run and verify you have 12v at the coil. If you do, start it. Once running, recheck the voltage at the coil. It should be 6-8 volts.