Electrical 6g alt swap gotcha

HemiRick

I'd be looking at jacking under the house
Jun 28, 2020
Memphis TN
In all the threads about doing a 6G alt update, no one mentioned that there's 2 diff. 6G's. The regulators are diff depending on whether the alt is ECM controlled or not....in short you want a 2 small wire plug version, not the the 3 wire. If you make the mistake I did changing the reg. is fairly easy and they only cost $15-20. The 2 wire reg is grey or black and the 3 wire one is white. The 3 wire one is PWM controlled.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

01-04 V6 will fit, but those appear to have the 3-pin regulstor.

I believe 02-05 Taurus also are 6g with the proper mount soacing, but all seem to have thr 3 wire plug

edit: actually it looks like they are all 3 pin but the the center pin isn’t used on some, and is on others.

Last edited:
What's the advantage of 6G over 3G?

My only experience with a 6G was on a Freestar I had. It had ECU issues (only thing I can conclude) and charging was flaky (sometimes no charging, sometimes 18V). We would run it with the regulator plug unplugged. You simply blip the the throttle to 2000 or 2500 rpm and the alt would kick into a default 13.5V charging rate. The ECU control was not hooked up and functioning with it unplugged. All you had connected was the 4ga wire from alt post to positive battery post (factory power wire connection for Windstar and Freestar - no fuse in between).

I'm actually using the 4ga wire from a Freestar for my 3G conversion on my Mustang connected straight to starter solenoid.

Smaller case, better cooling, better bearings. Due to its smaller size and smaller rotating mass, it should take less HP to spin, although I have no way of quantifying that.

downside is the output is 110Amps, but this is more than enough for a fox running a simple Efan an no other additional high demand electronics (like additional fuel pumps, electric water pump, big stereo,etc)

The right 6G is in 00-04 V6 Mustangs and ford trucks, I dont know if my 2 wire regulator I ordered will work with the 3 pin pigtail or not so I also ordered a 2 pin pigtail. I got my alt from a 06 Taurus, I snagged it because it recent replaced AZ lifetime warr. When I get the parts in a few days, I'll update. Apparently the main thing to look for is not the number of pins, the regulator color is the key....we want the grey or black one, not the white one.

Reactions: 1 user