73mm Brake Caliper Help

• Sponsors (?)

4 banger cars used the smaller 10" brakes found on pre-87 5.0's

You can use the ranger axles and drums in the back like the V8's, but you would need ranger 2.3L rotors up front to convert to 5-lug.

ranger 5-lug rotors = 10"
lincoln 5-lug rotors = 10.8"

I beleive yon need to use the ranger bearings. The Mustang ones might work so try them first so you can return the ranger ones if not needed...but i think i remember someone having an issue with the mustang bearings in the ranger front rotors

the rear is done already,i used a eaton diff , moser 31 spline axles,with c-clip eliminators and ranger drums.The front HAS 5 lug rotors of unknown origin of course with a broken wheel stud on one side,now i want to put new rotors and pads on but i dont know which rotors and wheel bearings to get.I am pretty sure the spindles are the 4 bangers because the lines and calipers are stock.

I did the 73mm front caliper upgrade with a 93 Cobra MC and booster in preparation for future rear discs.

It stops a heck of alot better even with the rear drums!! Very noticeable difference!!! It may be because I swapped the booster and MC also. I thought it was a very worthwhile upgrade.

my 82 Capri with 88 spindles along with 73mm calipers and turbo t-bird rear disks and svo mc work great over the stock crap and with 375 hps it makes me feel better to know i can whoa this beast!

For you guys that actually think using these calipers works, take this into consideration.
The stock calipers are 60mm, you are adding 13mm worth of piston, and if i'm not mistaken the pads are extremely close to the stock pads except they clamp into 73mm pistons.
So what did you really change? You get a meisly half an inch more of piston, pressing on the same exact spot on almost the same pad.

For brakes to work better, you need more rotor surface to do away with heat, more pad surface to grip better, and pistons to press down on the added pad surface. Without all three, you might as well have none.
Take note of cobra PBR calipers, 2 pistons spread out, to press on the entire pad evenly and has a much wider pressure patch, thus all of the above happens.

Now consider your extra 13mm of pressure from what is a very similar caliper to stock. What does it do? About the only thing i can figure out that it does is confuse the parts guy at pepboys as to why you are putting lincoln brake pads on your mustang.

For brakes to work better, you need more rotor surface to do away with heat, more pad surface to grip better, and pistons to press down on the added pad surface.

I agree x3, but what I would like to know is the difference between the Mustang and Lincoln rotors. If there were no functional benefit to engineering, producing and supporting a 73mm caliper there would not be a 73mm caliper. If the 60mm was functionally similar to the 73mm why would Ford produce a 73mm unit?