78 mustang

sorry yes the tumbler,ya after i took it out and tried it in my hand it doesnt spring back.i figured being i took the steering wheel off,it would be a good time to restore it.iam getting the inner metal part to clean up ,but the leather part of the steering wheel isnt as black as it once was.what could i use to darken it up again.its not bad but noticable.thanks
They sell a paint for automotive interiors, but I'm not sure that would work well on a steering wheel unless you protected it with a cover. But it seems a cover would defeat the purpose..... :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

so its real leather on the wheel.i was wondering if black shoe polish would work.wash it down with soap first and water,wipe off with a damp cloth.then try the shoe polish.dont think it would hurt it.my steering wheel is in good shape ,just a little dry and faded.ill take pics of a before and after.fingers crossed.

Reactions: 1 user
progress report,well i replaced the key lock cylinder. Still sticks in start position. Think i have to replace the switch down on the Colum. Does the switch have a built in spring. it does spring back but not enough to put it to the run position?

I don't remember, but I think it does. You could try lubing the different contact points of the rod that runs from the lock cylinder to the switch, that might get you by. Otherwise it's not that hard to replace - as long as you're a contortionist.... :rlaugh:

Seriously though, it's not hard to replace. 2 bolts and disconnect/reconnect the harness connector. If you get so far as to remove it, you could also try lubing the slot area that the rod runs through to actuate the switch. It's the slot on the bottom view of this pic.

1649326485516.png

It's been years, err decades actually, since I replaced one. I do not think the switch has any spring. It can get gummed up. Notchy. Hard to operate. It' s basically a slide switch and when it gets sticky the weak tumbler spring cannnot overcome the resistance in the switch.

If you try to lube it and it works go ahead and replace it. If you do lube it use something for electronics.

Did the old tumbler spring back when out of the vehicle? Does the old tumbler feel like it operates correctly?

I don't remember, but I think it does. You could try lubing the different contact points of the rod that runs from the lock cylinder to the switch, that might get you by. Otherwise it's not that hard to replace - as long as you're a contortionist.... :rlaugh:

Seriously though, it's not hard to replace. 2 bolts and disconnect/reconnect the harness connector. If you get so far as to remove it, you could also try lubing the slot area that the rod runs through to actuate the switch. It's the slot on the bottom view of this pic.

1649326485516.png
The brand new Ford ones do come new with a bit of white lithium grease on the bottom of the black plastic piece where the rod goes in

Reactions: 1 users
It's been years, err decades actually, since I replaced one. I do not think the switch has any spring. It can get gummed up. Notchy. Hard to operate. It' s basically a slide switch and when it gets sticky the weak tumbler spring cannnot overcome the resistance in the switch.

If you try to lube it and it works go ahead and replace it. If you do lube it use something for electronics.

Did the old tumbler spring back when out of the vehicle? Does the old tumbler feel like it operates correctly?
The switch does have a pretty strong spring inside it that only returns from start to run

The tumbler or key lock and cylinder spins freely and has no return spring
The key and cylinder can get gummed up and the ignition switch actuator rod and rack can stick
Kind of hard to completely fic on a old or starting to get worn one
But if you clean the cavity all out where the key and cylinder goes and clean the hell out of the rack and gear teeth
Then lube it all up with new white lithium spray grease it should be acceptable

You got a helluva imagination 2 Blue. I sure like that 1st one
Right on! Welcome on board Jimbob!

Pictures?
Pictures!
PICTURES!!

No were not desperate...just excited

Remember we'll just make stuff up until you do.
I'm imagining this...

R7e44737175f43659a450f467706e6c0a.jpeg

Of course with a Handle like 'JimBob" it might look like this.
I'm embracing my own twisted inner redneckery here...

Rd65b5896d52d2fefd91a23ebdf2120aa.jpeg

Begs for a snowplow don't it!?!? I mean someones got to shovel the $#(^ around here.

• Haha