79 ford truck rear end, will this work?

biggyfan1

Mar 10, 2006
High Desert CA
ok i found a 1979 ford truck with what looks to me is a 9" rear. i looked at the tag on the rear and this is what it says so maybe you guys can decode it.

VDM DJ 9FD
75 9 356A

it was kinda hard to read but i think thats what it said. will this fit my 1966 mustang. i know it is a 9" because it has the hump on the rear of the pumpkin and one of the bolts on the third member can only be taken off by wrench not a socket.

• Sponsors (?)

It will be way to wide and the bolt circle is likely different. So without modifications it won't work. Like everthing else if you spend enough money on it and modify it then it would work. Not worth it in my opinion. Keep looking.

I have been looking at Ford car rear ends alot and cant seem to find a 9" so i started looking at the trucks and was shocked that most still have the rear ends in them. I have looked at many web sites that tell me what rear end will fit my car but no one has said what truck rear end will fit. so now that i seen 9 inch rears in trucks and vans i am now wanting to know what will fit from them to mine.
will any truck or van rear end fit a 1966 or will they be to wide? maybe thats why i dont see to much info on the truck / van swap. it is always the car to car swap.
If any one has info let me know.

All the 9" truck rears are too wide for a 65-66. Plus the spring perches are too far apart and on the wrong side on the tubes.They all can be narrowed to fit though. And the spring perches cut off and rewelded to the correct location for a Stang. I think that tag oyu posted should have read 350A instead of 356A. 350 would be the gear ratio. If the rear had a trac-loc unit, it would read 3L50A. The only bolt in 9" rears for a 65-66 Stang will be a Granada/Monarch/Versailles unit or a 57-59 Ford rear.

All the 9" truck rears are too wide for a 65-66. Plus the spring perches are too far apart and on the wrong side on the tubes.They all can be narrowed to fit though. And the spring perches cut off and rewelded to the correct location for a Stang. I think that tag oyu posted should have read 350A instead of 356A. 350 would be the gear ratio. If the rear had a trac-loc unit, it would read 3L50A. The only bolt in 9" rears for a 65-66 Stang will be a Granada/Monarch/Versailles unit or a 57-59 Ford rear.

This correct I got mine out of a 57 (can't remember the model) and all I did was rebuild the rearend and it has worked for two years making 500+rwhp with a 4 speed. They are not easy to find and they are much bigger so I had to make my own u bolts.

I beleive most truck rear end have the pump shifted to one side, so if one did fit the drive shaft would at and angle. Of course if you found one that was close and shortened the long side to the same length as the short side you would only need to get another shaft the same length. But as was said before the bolt pattern is bigger.