8.8 swap in 65 coupe brake problem

cchrrice

Jan 19, 2004
I just put an explorer 8.8 disc brake rear end that has had long side shortened. My problem is, the calipers are touching my leaf springs. No way it will work. I know a lot of people have done this swap. What did I do wrong? How do I fix this. Please, any ideas will be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Here are pictures. Can’t even bolt on calipers for interference from leaf springs.

Attachments

• AB9F7066-895A-48CF-88AC-ADCCE7BDB3A2.jpeg
    AB9F7066-895A-48CF-88AC-ADCCE7BDB3A2.jpeg
    19.2 KB · Views: 117
  • C088AE1A-3306-418A-B11E-9EE8CF2ECB6E.jpeg
    C088AE1A-3306-418A-B11E-9EE8CF2ECB6E.jpeg
    22 KB · Views: 121
  • 9D644F20-86B8-413B-BC76-8DB526B476FB.jpeg
    9D644F20-86B8-413B-BC76-8DB526B476FB.jpeg
    17.8 KB · Views: 106
I've seen pictures of other conversions where there is plenty of clearance between the leafs and both brake calipers. I'm with rbohm on this one. Double check your installation. If nothing else is off, then something is off with the axle housing itself.

Don't get me wrong I appreciate you trying to help, but I already know what your saying. The rear is perfectly centered, and yes exactly same on both sides. How is everyone else doing this with the explorer long side cut down? My axles fit perfectly, so it was cut correctly. I have this issue fixed now anyway by rotating the backing plate 180 degrees. Only problem is parking brake is backward. I guess i will figure it out. Thanks again.

The backing plates are specific to each side. Is it possible you have them on the wrong side, clocking the calipers further down than they should be, causing them to interfere with the springs?

The backing plates are specific to each side. Is it possible you have them on the wrong side, clocking the calipers further down than they should be, causing them to interfere with the springs?
I am pretty sure they are on the appropriate side. If they were on the wrong side the parking brake brackets would be turned to the rear of the car, but I will take another look.

I wanted to tell you thank you for your help and after looking at everything again I think you are correct. My car had an 8.8 explorer rear with drums. I bought this rear in pieces from a machine shop and I assumed parking brake hook ups would be in same orientation. Wrong! Thanks again.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 user