Fox 8.8 trac lok rebuild

Sparky714

Oct 16, 2015
North Dakota
I'm gathering parts for winter upgrade projects and one of the things on my list is new clutch pacs in the rear end. 8.8 rear had some upgrades done to it before I bought it about 7 years ago. 3.73 gears, 31 spline Moser axles, welded tubes and supposedly new clutch pacs with extra clutches installed. It's worked great, but clutch pacs are getting weak. Car sees a few trips to the track a year but is 90% street car. I bought a set of the upgraded Ford carbon fiber clutch pacs. So with the newer type clutch pacs, do I install them per the Ford instructions or do guys shim them like the older style stock pacs with extra clutches to tighten them up a bit? I'm not worried about them wearing a little faster. If I get five years out of them I'm fine with that.

• Sponsors (?)

I test the clutches by side stepping the clutch at 4 grand.
If two equally dark tire marks are left on the ground then they pass.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I test the clutches by side stepping the clutch at 4 grand.
If two equally dark tire marks are left on the ground then they pass.
Yup, I know what to look for and I've also checked with a torque wrench and know there getting worn. So they're getting rebuilt this winter regardless. I'm just not sure how to install these updated carbon fiber clutch pacs. Install per Ford's instructions or install like guys have done in the past with with the older style clutch pacs by adding extra clutches to the stack.

Quoted from another source but what you are doing is eliminating one of the "steel" plates between each clutch plate. Normally, there are two "steels" between each clutch. Removing one allows the extra space for an extra clutch.

The new clutch pack kit comes with all new steel plates and clutch plates, but like said above, you can simply use your best looking "old clutch plate" as the extra one in the re-pack. The kit should also comes with side gear shims. You'll need to experiment to get the "proper" clearance. Basically, get the "clutch pack" as tight as it can be while still allowing for it to rotate them into position, and also still allowing the cross pin to still be installed without any issues.

Reactions: 1 user
Quoted from another source but what you are doing is eliminating one of the "steel" plates between each clutch plate. Normally, there are two "steels" between each clutch. Removing one allows the extra space for an extra clutch.

The new clutch pack kit comes with all new steel plates and clutch plates, but like said above, you can simply use your best looking "old clutch plate" as the extra one in the re-pack. The kit should also comes with side gear shims. You'll need to experiment to get the "proper" clearance. Basically, get the "clutch pack" as tight as it can be while still allowing for it to rotate them into position, and also still allowing the cross pin to still be installed without any issues.
I've found all types of instructions about adding the extra clutch plate, but none of them mention the newer style carbon fiber clutch pacs. Can you send me a link to this info? Every thing I've read refers to the original stock clutches.

There is no physical difference between the old style plates and the “new” carbon fiber that have been out almost 20 years. I’ve done a couple 8.8’s with the carbon fiber utilizing the extra clutch and zero issues. My Coupe is one of them and it also has the F150 “Z” spring in it.

I have no idea where I got the info I posted from as I just saved the info in the file for my Coupe. I can say Google is your friend.

There is no physical difference between the old style plates and the “new” carbon fiber that have been out almost 20 years. I’ve done a couple 8.8’s with the carbon fiber utilizing the extra clutch and zero issues. My Coupe is one of them and it also has the F150 “Z” spring in it.

I have no idea where I got the info I posted from as I just saved the info in the file for my Coupe. I can say Google is your friend.
Perfect! That's the answer I was looking for. I know the carbon fiber aren't "new". Came out about 2003 I believe. You're just the first person to mention they've done it with the carbon clutches in all the searching I've done. Thanks!

Last edited: