81 Fox I6 converted to HO 5.0... done.

ratio411

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
Pensacola FL
Hey, I usually post on the "Classic Forum" here, but working on my 2 son's cars I have been bugging you folks here with questions and I just wanted to say "THANK YOU!" for all the help. My oldest son's converson from 200/C4 to HO/AOD is finally done and it runs like a scalded dog!

Some of you know that we are dealing with an 81 Fairmont, but since it is a Mustang platform and the engine is HO, I figured you were the "go to guys" on the subject...

We ended up using an aftermarket 'plug and play' wiring harness, which was expensive, but super easy.

The engine was a bone stock SD HO from a Lincoln Mark, but the wiring harness converted it to MAF. Then we added an Exploder GT40 intake and TB.

My son also rounded up some big, cumbersome MAC equal shortys and an ORP X pipe. We finished it off with some wide open Dynomax race bullets dumped at the axle.

Even with the stock 2.73s this thing is quick.
Quicker than anything I had at his age!

Thank you for all your help!

Edit:
I should tell you why I call the MACs 'cumbersome'...
The equal length design makes for a bundle of pipes that take up more space and cause trouble with the ignition wires. We used brand new wires, but have already lost 3 to the headers. 2 fell on the tubes and melted, while the 45* boots put the ends too close to the tubes and one of those is almost impossible to keep off the passing tube and melted.
We are now looking for a new set of wires with 90* boots to stop this from happening.

Attachments

• IMG_2667E.jpg
    IMG_2667E.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Sponsors (?)

Oh, and I would like to say that the A/C eliminator and AIR eliminator are cheesy.
We found out after buying the eliminator pulleys that all we needed to do was use a shorter belt.
I highly recommend just doing that and saving your money.
Even the FMS eliminator wobbled and made noises like it could fall apart any minute, within the first day! When these pulleys do fail, we are just going with a short belt.