Progress Thread 83 Convertable Engine swap

• Sponsors (?)

I’m now officially fried.
Started having a leak around the transmission pan.
Tried tightening the bolts last night.
Had a puddle today.
Pulled it off, and put another gasket on it as I had another.
Snugged it up—waited—torqued it to specs.
Leaks worse than before.
Needs a new heavier pan I guess.
Whatever— went ahead and backed it out of the shop, and the sumbitch can just sit for awhile.
Looked for a new heavier pan , and all I could find was the C4’s.
Thought the C4and C5 had the same pan, and gasket.
When it said check fitment—says no.

HELP—about to lose it :(

Those pans are flimsy, the bolt holes can get out of shape, lay the pan down on a flat surface you will see the holes pushed out, just tap them back flat, skin (don't need much) the gasket surfaces on the pan and trans with rtv, sit the gasket on the pan, run the bolts up snug and let it sit overnight. There is no pressure in the pan, it just holds the fluid so no need to put any torque on the bolts. Run a few heat cycles and check them, snug 'em up if needed.
i change the trans fluid in the dump truck every 30-40k and it don't leak one drop.

Those pans are flimsy, the bolt holes can get out of shape, lay the pan down on a flat surface you will see the holes pushed out, just tap them back flat, skin (don't need much) the gasket surfaces on the pan and trans with rtv, sit the gasket on the pan, run the bolts up snug and let it sit overnight. There is no pressure in the pan, it just holds the fluid so no need to put any torque on the bolts. Run a few heat cycles and check them, snug 'em up if needed.
i change the trans fluid in the dump truck every 30-40k and it don't leak one drop.
Thanks for the information.
I gave up on the 36 year old pan, and ordered a new one that is supposed to be sturdier, plus a cork gasket.
Cork is what it had originally, but was removed when we put a new filter in.

It will be here Wednesday :)

New voltage regulator arrived today.

Feeling sorta optimistic now.

I now realize now that what you said is true.

Never say done :D
The word is no longer in my vocabulary.

Cork gaskets are so 70's, today it's rubber/synthetic stuff. It will still work, again rtv and snug, sit overnight. Cork just does not have the longevity, you'll be alright.
My way of thinking on this was if it didn’t leak for 36 years— then maybe it was time to give it a try.
It wasn’t stuck down by much.
Came right off.
I’m gonna do as you say, as a matter of fact after changing it—she’ll sit most of the weekend before snugging it down, or putting any fluid in it.

Reactions: 1 user
With cork gaskets on transmission pans I use super high tack " yellow snot ". It was the only thing that would seal the old chrysler K car cork valve covers. Its made by Permatex and the tube needs to be squeezed a few times before use. Make sure the surface is clean and you'll have no problems. With the old cork gaskets you used to have to retorque after a few heat cyles....that was hard to do in a busy shop. That high tack never failed...but the gasket will tear in half when you go to remove the pan again....and you'll have to work a few spots around the pan to get it to come loose without bending the pan. You just need a thin smear on the gasket. Applied like Elmer's glue and not like silicone.

Its sold everywhere....almost...

Screenshot_20190924-102738_Chrome.jpg

With cork gaskets on transmission pans I use super high tack " yellow snot ". It was the only thing that would seal the old chrysler K car cork valve covers. Its made by Permatex and the tube needs to be squeezed a few times before use. Make sure the surface is clean and you'll have no problems. With the old cork gaskets you used to have to retorque after a few heat cyles....that was hard to do in a busy shop. That high tack never failed...but the gasket will tear in half when you go to remove the pan again....and you'll have to work a few spots around the pan to get it to come loose without bending the pan. You just need a thin smear on the gasket. Applied like Elmer's glue and not like silicone.

Thank you

I today went down to pull the car in the shop to put the recommended voltage regulator on it.
Battery was deader than a door nail.
Jumped it and pulled it in.
Stuck the battery charger on it—wired up the voltage regulator, and went home, and spent time with the dogs.

3 hours later went down—disconnected the charger—got in to start it—just clicked.
Jump started it again, and let it run to temperature just to see the fans kick on.
Killed it—thought about hooking the charger up again, but instead reached in and turned the key.
Started right up.
Killed it—started it.
Everything is fine.
I don’t get it.
Anyway as it was running fine and up to temperature dumped some more transmission fluid in it ( have I mentioned that the pan is leaking ) backed it out of the shop, drove it forward for about a block—backed it up about a block.
Back in front of the shop—it was about 10:30pm —I decided to hold the brake a little, and tromped it :)
A 2 block ride made my nipples hard.
I’m very happy :) :) :)
Parked it outside as it is leaking.
Until tomorrow :)

42A0B345-0A37-4B90-8171-2EA95EA71BF9.jpeg
7B46F70D-6446-4DAB-94D8-C9E67E3E505D.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Should I apply it to both sides of the gasket?

Just got home from the shop.
Been a long evening.
Happy to say no leaks, everything is working as it should :)
Appreciate everyone’s input for the transmission pan problem.
I couldn’t find the stuff that was suggested to hold the Cork gasket, but figured what the hell—just needs something to keep the gasket from moving around when mounting the pan.
Put just a thin smear of # 3 airplane sealer on it, and let it sit while cleaning the underneath side of the transmission.
Went on like a charm :)

No leaks—fans are working as they should,
and she sounds amazing.

I would have brought her home tonight, but some friends showed up—stuck around and after it was apparent everything was as it should be it was decided a celebration was in order.
Not getting a DUI first time driving it.
7F923C65-3E4F-4877-B1DE-F5716550A3C6.jpeg
317EBBC3-6E59-44B8-A0E4-250C9609B5AA.jpeg
57205948-48B3-4CF9-8B9F-5C0BA3A9EEAB.jpeg
64458642-A871-469E-B814-22323EB1CCDB.jpeg
D6AE8E76-9C4A-4DA0-B7B9-20D0907E0F69.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
I know I’ve said this before, but this time it is true.
Time to put this thread to bed.
I’ve accomplished everything that I set out to do.
The engine is swapped, and everything is running, and performing beyond my expectations.
I’m a happy ole Sumbitch :)
She has been washed, gas tank is full, and now has some miles put on her.

I do wanna thank you all for the encouragement, the advice, and the humor that I’ve received during this adventure.
It’s been frustrating at times, joyous at times, depressing at times.
In the end this a great time, and very rewarding for me personally.
She is now sitting in my garage resting up for tomorrow :)

Again—thank all of you very much.

D10A0D90-519C-4FD7-B7BD-519A9A0B02D2.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users