Progress Thread 83 Convertable Engine swap

• Sponsors (?)

Spent My Sunday afternoon, and evening getting everything I could do to get it ready for Randy to finish it up Tuesday.
Had one Senior moment.
Put the thermostat housing on, and forgot to put the thermostat in it.
Had to stop, and drink several adult beverages, get my :poo: together.
Anyway, after that things went pretty good
545F2CDA-F382-4D75-ACDF-F116A97710FA.jpeg
39D1D226-7E65-4FF0-8314-E9C0AE31B096.jpeg

• Hell Yeah!
  • Winner
Reactions: 3 users
If anyone decides to do what I’ve done just a little word of advice.
No big thing, but will help from going crazy.
After going through all the bull:poo: of pulling the pulley on the power steering pump, and succeeding on putting it on the new bracket I proceeded to put the serpentine belt on.
Did away with the Smog pump as Missouri don’t give a :poo:.
Anyway, every diagram I looked at called for a 84.5 serpentine belt length.
No way was it going to fit.
So I decided to go to O’Reillys— only place open on a Sunday afternoon—and got 87” belt. Only length they had.
Have I mentioned “ I hate O’REILLYs?”
Take it to the shop, and after dropping the tensioner fit perfect.
So I sat down and thought about this with another adult beverage.
The deal is, everything I’ve ordered for the Engine, and car, I’Ve just said it is for a 1990 Mustang even though it’s an 83.
Everything has fit great.
Well the AC compressor, and Power steering pulley are stock 83.
Power steering pulley is larger than later models.
Some of you hands should have tipped me off, as you have been great on everything else.
This forum has been great, so I’ll let it slide this time. : )

Spent My Sunday afternoon, and evening getting everything I could do to get it ready for Randy to finish it up Tuesday.
Had one Senior moment.
Put the thermostat housing on, and forgot to put the thermostat in it.
Had to stop, and drink several adult beverages, get my :poo: together.
Anyway, after that things went pretty good
545F2CDA-F382-4D75-ACDF-F116A97710FA.jpeg
39D1D226-7E65-4FF0-8314-E9C0AE31B096.jpeg
Nice giant alternator those wires are pretty cool too , never seen those before

Good looking engine and the compartment is pretty tidy. Only thing, and this is personal preference and in no way a criticism, that DUI distributor is big and to me looks out of place, they work great and do help clean up clutter in other places but, to me they just don't look right, that said, I know why people use them, damn near bullet proof! :nice:

Good looking engine and the compartment is pretty tidy. Only thing, and this is personal preference and in no way a criticism, that DUI distributor is big and to me looks out of place, they work great and do help clean up clutter in other places but, to me they just don't look right, that said, I know why people use them, damn near bullet proof! :nice:
I agree with you 100%.
I t sits there like a big blue Christmas tree.
It is something I will change in the future.
That is how BluePrint delivered it, and am not happy with it.
Had to choose an air cleaner around it etc.
In the way of plumbing etc.
Looks like crap etc..

That distributor takes the GM HEI counterweights and springs. Super easy to tune for advance. The best bang for the buck if you're carbureted.

Beautiful engine brother !!! Looking real good to me.

• Agree
  • Clever
Reactions: 1 users
I agree with you 100%.
I t sits there like a big blue Christmas tree.
It is something I will change in the future.
That is how BluePrint delivered it, and am not happy with it.
Had to choose an air cleaner around it etc.
In the way of plumbing etc.
Looks like crap etc..
you can live with it, like said 'best bang for the buck'
gotta hand it to the gm guys on that one

It is what it is.
I was pleasantly surprised today when I went down to the shop about 4:30.
RamJet apparently come in on his weekend Holiday, and had hooked up the fans, wired the alternator, and wired a bunch of other stuff.
Plumbed the A/C etc.
I really believe it will be home in my garage tomorrow night after I try her out.
I did all the stuff that I could do to get her ready for tomorrow, and left around 10:30pm.
57792FDA-A01D-4E5E-98AE-57FAC577FFF6.jpeg
57792FDA-A01D-4E5E-98AE-57FAC577FFF6.jpeg
931F5167-1A8C-4BFE-9184-40751F77F283.jpeg
931F5167-1A8C-4BFE-9184-40751F77F283.jpeg
E039BF06-20A2-493F-BA79-255C53F4FE8E.jpeg

Attachments

• 4E3817DD-1369-4211-9D00-6205ED39DDB9.jpeg
    4E3817DD-1369-4211-9D00-6205ED39DDB9.jpeg
    344 KB · Views: 74
Man you hit the lottery , or dont have a wife. I usually go piece by piece. Nice to have tons of stuff coming in. Still like that alternator , what kind ?......I guess you cant rule out a really nice wife .

I'm going to give a little tid bit of advise. The factory belt tensioner pulley had shoulders to ensure the belt didn't slip off. Autozone sells the correct pulley. The replacement tensioner has had the wrong pulley on it for atleast 20 years. In my years of working on these cars I've seen a few cars throw belts at high rpm because of this.

Here's the correct pulley and part number. The bolt is reverse thread on the tensioner. I always order a tensioner and the pulley and then make them let me swap pullies for the correct one.

Screenshot_20190903-101839_Chrome.jpg

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
I'm going to give a little tid bit of advise. The factory belt tensioner pulley had shoulders to ensure the belt didn't slip off. Autozone sells the correct pulley. The replacement tensioner has had the wrong pulley on it for atleast 20 years. In my years of working on these cars I've seen a few cars throw belts at high rpm because of this.

Here's the correct pulley and part number. The bolt is reverse thread on the tensioner. I always order a tensioner and the pulley and then make them let me swap pullies for the correct one.

Screenshot_20190903-101839_Chrome.jpg
Thank you I’ll look into it .
Just trying to get this wrapped up today.

yep
Man you hit the lottery , or dont have a wife. I usually go piece by piece. Nice to have tons of stuff coming in. Still like that alternator , what kind ?......I guess you cant rule out a really nice wife .
thank you, but my wife passed away in March.
She always wanted me to fix this little Mustang up.
I had bought her a new Explorer last August.
After she passed I had no use for it, and never drove it.
I sold it, and from the profit I made I decided to get the Mustang going the way I want it.

• Loved It!
yep

thank you, but my wife passed away in March.
She always wanted me to fix this little Mustang up.
I had bought her a new Explorer last August.
After she passed I had no use for it, and never drove it.
I sold it, and from the profit I made I decided to get the Mustang going the way I want it.
I have a sick wife , and were not that old . Nice that your doing a decent hobby . Your going to look good racing around in that car . Should be like mine . Nice and loud . Great to have you here ..

Most of you know the drill.
Needed about $10 worth of parts that couldn’t find anywhere in this podunk town, about 1’30” time, and she woulda been cruising the streets.
At least the exhaust is installed.
2832CE8B-2F5E-4CE9-A4D9-D000FC41BF9C.jpeg
BB63E84E-B84B-4943-B665-F108651C0B48.jpeg
67183876-83A4-4790-8D17-E0D9D0512C42.jpeg
4B577758-6E7D-41C1-8078-51134E3A0E4D.jpeg