Forced Induction 83 gt hood scoop

• Sponsors (?)

You really don’t want to cut a hole in your hood. Here’s why.

These cars are sensitive to pressure changes in the engine bay which will affect how air is pulled through the radiator. In stock form, all of the air comes in under the front bumper with a small portion through a grill depending on the model. The air passes through the radiator and dumps down at the firewall.

With a hole in the hood and air flowing down into the bay, this will increase air pressure to the point that air may not flow through the radiator effectively due to the higher pressure behind it.

Also, hood scoops tend to need to be pretty high off the hood to be effective. 2” or more. One of the popular mods on the 03/04 Mach 1 cars was to lift the hood scoop as high as possible to make it more functional. A low hood scoop, such as the 01-04 GT mustang scoop actually cause much of the air to flow over the top.

You can certainly flip the scoop around if you like the appearance, but I would keep the opening blocked and not cut the hole in the hood.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
You really don’t want to cut a hole in your hood. Here’s why.

These cars are sensitive to pressure changes in the engine bay which will affect how air is pulled through the radiator. In stock form, all of the air comes in under the front bumper with a small portion through a grill depending on the model. The air passes through the radiator and dumps down at the firewall.

With a hole in the hood and air flowing down into the bay, this will increase air pressure to the point that air may not flow through the radiator effectively due to the higher pressure behind it.

Also, hood scoops tend to need to be pretty high off the hood to be effective. 2” or more. One of the popular mods on the 03/04 Mach 1 cars was to lift the hood scoop as high as possible to make it more functional. A low hood scoop, such as the 01-04 GT mustang scoop actually cause much of the air to flow over the top.

You can certainly flip the scoop around if you like the appearance, but I would keep the opening blocked and not cut the hole in the hood.
I was only doing it to let heat out I haven't done it yet my hood is junk the glue is melting off the brace in the middle I wasnt going cut a huge hole just in the middle of the brace I loved the look on the hood it was on

I was only doing it to let heat out I haven't done it yet my hood is junk the glue is melting off the brace in the middle I wasnt going cut a huge hole just in the middle of the brace I loved the look on the hood it was on

If you do that, you’ll want the scoop to face the rear. That will allow the heat out without any pressure building inside the engine bay. It’s the premise behind the cowl induction hood

Reactions: 1 user
If you want to cover the entire scoop,you'll have to cut out part of the brace. You can do it however you want really. Curious,do you have the little grille for the back of the scoop?
na the grille is gone they had it backwards taking in air to the carburetor that was the hood I took it off I don't want the hole that big I made a template also to see where i would need to cut to let heat out I found 1 video about it but it was on a 86 mines a 91

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220509-090152_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220509-090152_Gallery.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 47
Do yourself and all of us a favour. Take a pic of your hood with the template taped out or marked on the hood. We can then mark up the pic with our suggestion.

When I made my current hood I marked out the cuts to help visualize the modifications ...

20200109_131332.jpg
20200114_173225.jpg
20200514_213345.jpg
20200919_153942.jpg

Now I am working on a raised cowl with custom made shaker hood scoop.

20220423_175404.jpg 20220423_202653.jpg

The scoop in these pics is still sitting on the bracing (I haven't cut it out yet). My point, where is your scoop going to sit on the hood, find that location. Then my suggestion is go 3-4" forward of the rear edge of the scoop and draw a horizontal line from side to side. Leave a couples inches on either side of the edges and mark inboard from there. Make the hole 2-6" wide. Make a trim lip you can mount underneath if you want to help keep some of the water out. Got it.

It would be so much easier to just lay it out on a pic if you have it. Lots of ideas and talented people here, help them help you.