Roush 85-86 recaro style seat question

2000xp8

SN Certified Technician
Aug 8, 2003
NJ
Guys, there looks to be some similarities in the saleen foxbody seats and the 85-86 recaro style ones.

How close are they?

I have a chance to pick up a full set out of an 85/86, with the backs being in mint condition. And the fronts being in mint condition other than the piping is destroyed from seat covers that have be on them forever. Funny the covers protected the fabric but friction tore up the piping.
Car was in an accident and the Drivers side track seems to be free sliding. Seat tracks hard to get?

Anyone just have the piping redone on the seats? Trying to figure out if it will be cost effective to buy these seats.
I'm figuing i may be able to get them for $100-$150, based on the fact that the front piping is ruined.

Thanks,
Joe

• Sponsors (?)

the 85/86 gt seats are close to the Saleen FloFits but the seat & insert colors are flipped around. the 85/86 seats have regular halo headrests & the FloFits have netting in the halo headrest. the 85/86 seats have adjustable lower seat bolsters & FloFits do not. i just sold my gray 85/86 gt seats w/ red piping & bought the full gray FloFit seat set w/ red piping from an 88 Saleen so i guess i know first hand LOL. seat tracks are an easy swap. use the one thats on your seat now. if you have any more questions on this i am your guy ;-)

Jay

i would maybe leave the piping alone & just use these seats until the right time comes along (& it will!) & the FloFits you need become available. there is a full set of gray FloFits for sale for 400.00 + shipping on the Corral.
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=759161

when i had my 85/86 seats, i sold the regular halo headrests & got the very very rare 83-86 netted halo headrests which made the seats look even better!
i sold the 85/86 GT seats in good condition w/ the rare netted headrests for 190.00. if you can score them for said price go for it. you can always sell them down the road like i did to help finance the FloFits ;-)
Jay

having the red piping replaced on the front seats should be too expensive on the other hand. dont let the bad red piping sway your buying decision. grab em LOL. i thought they were comfortable seats. heres a few shots of my 85/86 seats w/ netted headrests.
443082_117_full.jpg

443082_123_full.jpg

443082_116_full.jpg

443082_124_full.jpg

443082_119_full.jpg

Jay, did you mean "shouldn't" be too expensive.

How hard to get are the netted headrests, how much should i expect to pay?

And lastly, how hard are these seats to clean?

I bought a set of netted halos from ebay about 6 months ago for $75 shipped... I had been thinking of selling them, so I have been watching and the last 2 sets went for $120 and $135 ish...

I'm keeping mine, just covered them with leather and putting them with some 86 SVO seats in my '89..

I passed on the seats.

Seems the sides of the bottoms are a bit beat up, or split i could say (under the fabric), and they want $150 for the rears. So they will rot in the junkyard at that price.