Fox 85 Notch Vs 81 Camaro

Bjones97

Jan 9, 2017
Hey guys I am getting a 85 mustang needs alot of tlc it's going to be a project car not a daily driver needs to be able to be driven from time to time to get to the track, long story short I got a buddy with a 81 z28 Camaro fully stripped fiberglass hood and a 383 with a th350 trans and a manual valve body trans the guy he bought it from claims a 9-10 ish et it sounds like crap and look looks like crap I'm guessing high 11- low 12 my goal is to spank his Camaro, with a 85 notch. Tldr how would you build a notch to beat a 80's Camaro rules for the car is no more than 3200 lbs with driver (250lbs) not big blocks no power adder 10.5 inch slick / drag radial and I gotta drive to the track it will be a grudge match between me and my buddy I'm Ford he's Chevy I was thinking mild 331 build c4 and some form of cheating haha

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, first give us a run down on the 85 you got.
Is it a driver now, motor and trans in working order
Is it a v8 stick/auto
Is this a planned street/strip/grudge build
Are you mechanically inclined
The most important question BUDGET
frankly, a mid 11 sec car can be done with the right bolt ons and fairly inexpensive, I would start with a v8 car
A l4 could spank him but it's just more money/knowledge
There are many on here that can and will help spank your buddy. Welcome aboard

Reactions: 1 user
You're gonna get killed,.....The only prayer you have is if the Camaro doesn't show up.

Or conversely,...you could could just stay home,..why risk the humiliation?

Yeah,..that's your only other option.

Hope for "A",..plan for "B"

Short version

How to beat a built 383 drag car with a 85 fox?

Build a strip car that's faster... start with a turbo 351 and a second mortgage on your home.

Is it a v8 stick/auto
frankly, a mid 11 sec car can be done with the right bolt ons and fairly inexpensive, I would start with a v8 car
It's the famous 6 cylinder lol and an auto I'm very mechanically inclined i can even deck my own heads and it doesn't run and it is pretty bad it needs alot of work it's been sitting on an abandoned car lot for 10years and I found the property owner and in 60 days I can get it, I don't Wana spend over 1000$ a month and plan on taking about a year to complete the build thanks for you help btw and to the other guys the Camaro is not near as fast as it looks I rode in it today it's been stripped and fiberglass hood along with a very mild 383 it has a big cam and a crappy torque converter it launches like a fat chick on a moped lots of noise but it don't go real fast. I think I can take him I just need to build my notch lighter than a Camaro (not hard lol) and make good power it looks like I'll need to come up with 375 ish HP and around 400+ TQ to edge out the Camaro (that's my best guess) also why are Camaro guys on the mustang forum haha

Is it a v8 stick/auto
It's the famous 6 cylinder lol and an auto I'm very mechanically inclined i can even deck my own heads and it doesn't run and it is pretty bad it needs alot of work it's been sitting on an abandoned car lot for 10years and I found the property owner and in 60 days I can get it, I don't Wana spend over 1000$ a month and plan on taking about a year to complete the build thanks for you help btw and to the other guys the Camaro is not near as fast as it looks I rode in it today it's been stripped and fiberglass hood along with a very mild 383 it has a big cam and a crappy torque converter it launches like a fat chick on a moped lots of noise but it don't go real fast. I think I can take him I just need to build my notch lighter than a Camaro (not hard lol) and make good power it looks like I'll need to come up with 375 ish HP and around 400+ TQ to edge out the Camaro (that's my best guess) also why are Camaro guys on the mustang forum haha
Short version

How to beat a built 383 drag car with a 85 fox?

Build a strip car that's faster... start with a turbo 351 and a second mortgage on your home.

Has to be n/a I don't need a turbo lol it's an old heavy Camaro I'm guessing after riding in it today a 12 sec car I think it could easily be handled by a well built 331 in a light fox

Alot of guys here are just being realistic. We have done this kind of talk many.... many times.

Now your best bet is to out CID him with a c4 or over built AOD (read not a stock :poo: Ass slushbox)....

My suggestion if it's NA only...

-351 block
-Stroker kit for a 408.
-Spend the money on a good set of heads here is where you make all of your power.
-Custom cam
-Single plane intake ie.... Super Victor
Carb of your choice.

Will also need at a minimum.....
-sub frame connectors
-new shocks/struts (maybe adjustable struts up front)
-Cut rear Springs one coil
Leave sway bars if street driven.
-slicks

Money.

Reactions: 1 users
No replacement for displacement. Build a 351 based motor(408-like a91what said). Buy some 205-225cc aluminum heads(I prefer tfs but afr make great heads also). Properly done you'll have anywhere around 500-650hp(biggest difference in power will be which head/cam/compression ratio/etc you use). You will have as much or more power than a built 383 sbc. I'd go for around 12:1cr,mechanical roller around 250*dur and .6xx lift,a super Vic intake,a purpose built carb,a 1 7/8" header,and good internals.

Suspension,suspension,suspension and chassis! Matched with a good tire and properly spec'd transmission-rearend. You'll be able to run anywhere from high 9's to low 11's depending on what exactly you build. At a minimum sfc,torque box reinforcements,good control arms,and drag springs/shocks. Oh and a "budget" version won't get it done if that Camaro owner truly has his stuff together.

What's with all the double posts happening with all the New people? Is it a glitch?

To the op- Welcome to Stangnet...
And I agree with the others- Stroker 351 and a beefy C4 would be a good start in your journey to be a Camaro slayer :)

needs more b cam.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Agree'd, 351, spend as much as you can on heads, but plan to spend even more on a real cam and the valve train to back it up.
Solid roller for sure, and, 250duration, high 6xx lift sounds like a nice cam for a 306 with stock heads... think big.
Drag radials can be made to work with lots of time/tuning, if you want it to hook day one, go slicks.
My .02

Go to the 5.0 tech section find tech/how to button scroll to the bottom of list an click bob crosbys 12 sec recipe, now granted when you read it don't think about the car he did this with but rather what he did to the car. Your advantage will be your building a 'grudge' car so you can lighten it up by stripping stuff you don't need, you don't need to make it pretty, just fast. Spend your money on the suspension, subframe connectors and top end of a 351, a 373 gear and a built c4. Keep it simple, spend your money wisely and practice will have you spanking that bow tie in tru ford style.
Keep us posted, maybe a build thread, I wanna see it happen.

Agree'd, 351, spend as much as you can on heads, but plan to spend even more on a real cam and the valve train to back it up.
Solid roller for sure, and, 250duration, high 6xx lift sounds like a nice cam for a 306 with stock heads... think big.
Drag radials can be made to work with lots of time/tuning, if you want it to hook day one, go slicks.
My .02
I never thought I would read 250*dur,high .6xx lift, 306-stock heads being ok lol. I know where you're coming from though lol. Should I have put an "at least"disclaimer first?;)