• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

85 To 140 Speedometer

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tim Sisk
  • Start date Start date Jun 20, 2015
T

Tim Sisk

New Member
Apr 15, 2015
21
0
1
Jun 20, 2015
#1
  • Jun 20, 2015
  • #1
How do I make my 85 mph speedometer a 140 without buying a whole new cluster
 
T

Tim Sisk

New Member
Apr 15, 2015
21
0
1
Jun 20, 2015
#2
  • Jun 20, 2015
  • #2
Tim Sisk said:
How do I make my 85 mph speedometer a 140 without buying a whole new cluster
Click to expand...
The cluster in my 90 model has a curve in it and with the 87 tilt column swap in order to make everything look right I need the cluster to be straight across the bottom
 
B

Baron164

Member
Jul 16, 2014
36
5
18
Upstate NY
Jun 22, 2015
#3
  • Jun 22, 2015
  • #3
I've seen a lot of people selling just the 90-93 140mph gauge for about $150. At least that's the regular going rate I see a lot but it varies. I recently just purchased an entire cluster for my 93 for only $120 and used it for parts to fix my speedo. I believe the 140 gauge should just pop right in to replace the 85 in the cluster, however I believe there are some calibration issues which I do not know off hand how to resolve. If you want to use the older cluster you'd just need the older style gauge. Mine was a 93 so it has the curve. If you are getting rid of your old cluster you could sell it to make some of your money back from switching clusters. It's also fairly easy to roll the odometer back on those if you want the new one to match the old gauge.

I was able to find the older style 140mph gauge here Ford Mustang 160MPH SSP Instrument Cluster 140 MPH Speedometer | eBay
 
Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
Reactions: Rübss
B

Baron164

Member
Jul 16, 2014
36
5
18
Upstate NY
Jun 22, 2015
#4
  • Jun 22, 2015
  • #4
I also found this cluster, Ford Mustang Mustang 5 0 Instrument Cluster 140 MPH Speedometer | eBay

One thing to keep in mind, if you buy a used cluster it may have issues so if you can find a "new" boxed part and can afford it I'd highly recommend it.
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,320
18,047
224
Massachusetts
Jun 24, 2015
#5
  • Jun 24, 2015
  • #5
A few ways to do it.

#1 is to buy a 1989 Cluster which is a direct drop in. They switched to 140MPH halfway through the year, so only some have it. That makes it a very rare cluster so it tends to be pricey.

90-93 clusters need to be rewired to work, so leave this as last option.

You can also purchase an 89-93 140MPH speedo alone, and install it in your cluster. You just remove the needle, unscrew the mechanisn from the clear plastic support and swap it with your 85MPH speedo.

Then you just need a face. Go with an aftermarket overly, or try and retrofit the 90-93 140MPH face onto your older cluster.

When you reinstall the needle, take note to a small tick mark BELOW the 0MPH line. Remove the needle stop. With the gauge installed at proper orientation, the needle should point at this tick mark and NOT 0MPH. That way when you reinstall the needle stop, there's a little downward pressure on the stop.
 
Reactions: larrym1961
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

C
Electrical Fuel Gauge...Help! What did I do or Didn't Do?
  • ChickenDeluxe
  • Sep 3, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
161
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 3, 2026
ChickenDeluxe
C
C
Resolved Dead speedometer... not odometer gears or trans speed sensor 4R70 W
  • cobramoneypit
  • Jul 22, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
0
Views
85
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Jul 22, 2026
cobramoneypit
C
S
Speedometer Calibration
  • Sonny Bibb
  • Sep 11, 2026
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum
Replies
4
Views
137
Digital Self-tuning Forum Sep 13, 2026
Sonny Bibb
S
7
70 Mach 1 with Fluctuating Speedometer below 40mph
  • 70 Mach
  • Oct 19, 2025
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
286
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jan 19, 2026
Realmongo
E
Drivetrain Odometer quit working
  • El Dee
  • Feb 6, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
299
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Feb 7, 2025
85GTStangGuy
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?