86 5.0 project-need help please!

stang302v8

Aug 16, 2005
carlisle, pa
Hey I'm building an 86' 5.0 high output motor that I'm dropping into my 70' stang. I'm 17 and I dont have much experience with building a bare block. I'm planning to put aftermarket cam, pistons and heads onto the block. From what I understand, if you replace the stock heads or stock cam in an 86' 5.0 the piston will bottom out on the valves because of minimized clearance. What I would like to know is if I will have this problem if I install aftermarket heads such as a pair of roush winsor heads, aftermarket pistons (keith black flat top) and aftermarket radical cam. And if I will run into this problem with aftermarket parts, what dimensions on valves and lift on a cam will I have to go? Please offer advice!

• Sponsors (?)

Get valves with cut out reliefs in them. Once you do that you will be able to swap in more parts than before. Of course you will still need to check piston to valve clearance, and fly cut the pistons if required.

Mario

The block's fine, it's the '86 pistons that is the problem. When you build it do not get the flat top '86 pistons, get the forged pistons used in '87-'92.

stang302v8 said:
whats flycutting the pistons?
is it even worth building an 86' block with this valve to piston clearance problem?

You can go with flat top pistons but they will require valve reliefs for the heads that you intend to use

--or--

Get a set of TFS heads. The valve angles are different. You can run a pretty agressive cam with the extra clearance provided by the valve rotation.

If i go with a set of TFS pistons with different valve angles, will that effect the limitations of what type of heads i can get? I was planning on going with roush 351 winsor heads, or trick flow twisted wedge heads. i had the B303 cam in mind, any other ideas ?

You can use the stock pistons with the TFS heads so long as you stay under 224* @ .050" dur, No less than 112* LSA.
You can go up to approximately .550" lift.

If you plan to use forced induction down the road then go ahead and spring for the upgraded springs.

why would you rebuild the motor and stay with flat top pistons??

cost??

not being sarcastic im just wondering if you need the forged pistons to clear valves, why not get em anyway and not have to worry about clearances?