86 GT front changed to a 87-up LX?

FiveLtrRiceEatr

Oct 2, 2004
Michigan
my friend just bought a 1986 Mustang GT that will be his project car, and I'm gonna be helping him. He likes the way my 88 lx front looks better then the ole' four eyes.

I know that the 86 GT body is almost the same as the 87-93 LX. So I was wondering if you got 87-93 front (with all the lights etc) and 87-93 fenders and a 87-93 hood, it would fit on his 86 GT, right?

his dad is a painter and does bodywork, so that is not a problem.

• Sponsors (?)

OH,
MY,
GOD.

Why does everyone want to ask this question over and over. The four eyed mustangs are getting harder and harder to find and as such they are becoming much more desireable. The 87+ mustangs are a dime a dozen. Tell your friend to sell the beautiful four eyed car to someone who appreciates them and buy himself an 87+ model. IMO (and many others) the four eyed mustangs look a whole world better than the newer ford tempoized mustangs. They keep alot more of the 60's 70's american muscle look. Send your buddy over to www.foureyedpride.com to check out some of the really awesome four eyed cars over there. PLEASE DO NOT RUIN THAT SOUGHT AFTER 86!!!!!!!!!

sheesh.

J.

83GT289 said:
OH,
MY,
GOD.

Why does everyone want to ask this question over and over

hey I didnt know that everyone asked this question. so can you or cant you?

thats all i want to know, he doesnt like the four eyes, whats the big deal with that? its his car.

and IMO the 87-93 look more old school muscle. and they arent dime a dozen..what are you talking about. and its a little strong to say ruin the 86, it wont.

Yes you can, its no big deal you can use the fenders hes got, just buy the frt end and bolt it up. You have to change the headlight wiring (very easy) you will need a new hood as well, the old latch will work but better to get the one off the 87 to 93 cars.On the fender issue you might have to change or make the holes bigger for the molding in order to get it to match, also if you use the old fenders theres a exstention piece that you will have to put on from the newer cars it goes right below the molding but again no big deal drill holes and put it on. Good luck.

Yes, you will be ruining the 86. I'm going to be completely upfront and honest with you. tell your friend to hold off on converting that front end. FYI, the 86 is debateably THE most sought after fox body period. You personally are not used to the four eyed look, but it's got more old school look to it than the aero cars ever could. The front end simply looks mean as hell.

I'm also going to be upfront and honest with you, when I say that this is SERIOUS taboo, and is almost considered ricey in the mustang world, making the car what it is not. This is serious, serious taboo, and it's so bad, that I can gaurantee everywhere he goes that have mustang fans will give him a lot of ridicule, a hard time, and a ton of **** for doing that. He'll get absolutely 0 respect once anyone finds out he converted to that style front end. Those cars are getting harder and harder to find, and yes, the aero cars are still a dime a dozen.

My best suggestion is to tell him to hold off and wait, and search the gallery at www.foureyedpride.com. I promise you, he'll see some badass foureyed mustangs that will change his mind in a minute. If he must have an aero car, seriously, please have him buy one. this thread is going to create tremendous response, and your buddy must know with absolute certainty that he's not only ruining the car, but throwing out any and all respect from fellow stangers.

To answer your question, YES, it can be done, but everything has to be changed, including the rear bumper, all mouldings on the whole car (beltline mouldings) front inner bumper, bumper cover, maybe fender extensions, and it's going to have to be rewired. It's pretty detailed, and most people who do it wind up with hackjob cars that look like ass.

Please tell him to reconsider, and do keep us informed. As I requested, can you at least tell him to look at the foureyedpride picture gallery??

grrrrrr. Yes it can be done. Yes it's his car to do with whatever he wants. Yes, changing the nose is ruining the look of a four eyed car. Why would your friend buy a car he doesn't like?????

Do your friend a favor and link him to the site i posted above just for a little look around. I think some of the totally bad ass rides over there might change his mind.

J.

FiveLtrRiceEatr said:
thats all i want to know, he doesnt like the four eyes, whats the big deal with that? its his car.

and IMO the 87-93 look more old school muscle. and they arent dime a dozen..what are you talking about. and its a little strong to say ruin the 86, it wont.

Its a "big deal" because the four eyed cars have been and still are disappearing rapidly to these swaps.

It saddens the 79-86 Mustang enthusiasts greatly when they see this happen. Especially 85-86 cars. In 85-86 horsepower finally started coming back to the breed and you had that rough no nonsense agressive look outside and inside the car.

85 was the last of the carbs and 86 was the best of all since it was the last of the four eyed run and started the beginning of "true" 5.0 Fuel Injected engines.

What you and your friend are planning on doing is ruining a soon to be classic. Once the car turns into an 87-93, its chances of getting converted back to the correct nose are slim, its resale will be lower and it will be more likely to be parted or wind up in the junk yard down the road. However, leave it as a four eye, fix it up and you will be surprised at the interest you will generate with the car.

-Mike

personally I'm with you guys, I want him to keep the four eyes, I just wanted to see if it was possible because I thought it was. And yes those rides on that website were badass, im not gonna lie. I'll talk it over with him, you guys are right. he needs a new passenger fender and front bumper anyways, thats one of the reasone he wanted to put a LX front on it. I wasnt too keen on the idea and I'm still not. ya it does ruin it, i forgot how sought after 86's are. Hmm, i like the 87-93 style better IMO, but i dont think it would be a good idea to change a four eyes to that.

I'll try to change his mind :)

FiveLtrRiceEatr said:
so can you or cant you?

The question isn't can you or can't you, the question is should you or shouldn't you? And the answer is no you should not. Your friend is an idiot if he does. He'll have to swap out the whole front end, all the moldings that go around the car, the window moldings and window trim, probably the 1/4 windows too if you want it to look right. Then your going to have a mustang that looks new on the outside, but you'll open the door and see the older interior. The first thing people will think is, oh god why did you do that? The conversion alone, to do it properly, will probably end up costing close to the same amount as an 87-93 GT and thats not even considering the cost to upgrade the interior too if he was even thinking about doing that(hopefully he is not).
If your friend HAS to have the 87-93 front end, tell him to save the original four eyed front end, then run the car into a block wall and re-install the 86 front end.

Who gives a **** if 4eyed cars are scarce... heard enough of that crap. Jeese, i think we're running short of stock hoods, WHY IN THE HELL WOULD YOU BUY AN AFTERMARKET FIBERGLASS HOOD?

The bumper will bolt up no problem, and the fenders don't need to be changed. You will need new lights etc, as well as matching belt mouldings and front LX ground effects. If you want it all to match, you'll need an 87-93 LX rear bumper as well.

Mavrick said:
:bs: :bs: :bs:

Caugh, 93 Cobra? Notchback of any kind? I like 85-86's but come on, that statement came right out of your as.

ooop,s forgot to mention "debatably the most sought after, with mention to the 93 cobra too, my bad" however, of the common aero's, the 86's are by far the most famous, and this includes the very hard to find 86 5.0 notches.

If he's interested, I have extra fenders, hood, and an 86gt bumper cover, all can be shipped.

The 86 and older cars are the best looking foxes made,Converting it would be like running it into a pole for fun,STUPID IDEA!! I don't see how you can say the aero nose (87-93) nose cars are not common???? They made the same exact nose for 7 years!! There aree more than you know what to do with.If you need parts go to 4eyedpride.com and if you say you are saving it from a aero nose conversion the members will be happy to give you a deal on stuff.Good luck changing his mind!!

Mavrick said:
Who gives a **** if 4eyed cars are scarce... heard enough of that crap. Jeese, i think we're running short of stock hoods, WHY IN THE HELL WOULD YOU BUY AN AFTERMARKET FIBERGLASS HOOD?

The bumper will bolt up no problem, and the fenders don't need to be changed. You will need new lights etc, as well as matching belt mouldings and front LX ground effects. If you want it all to match, you'll need an 87-93 LX rear bumper as well.

Obviously a lot of people who responded to this thread give a ****
FYI 87-93 LX's don't have ground effects.