86 Turbo Coupe To Mustang Diff Swap Question.

Matt01

Jul 23, 2016
Hi Guys, new guy here (new to Mustangs, old to Merkurs, and turbo Volvos) I will make a welcome thread when I get a chance. I look forward to posting more often here.

I found an 86 Turbo Coupe in the junkyard, I know that 87-88 had the good 8.8 with the gears that everyone talks about.
Now, I screwed up and when I saw the car, I didnt properly identify the diff. But it had the rear disk brakes I assumed it had the 8.8, I had made plans to go back for the diff, and didnt bother to look at the ID tags. I have since read that ONLY the 87-88 had the 8.8.

1st question, did the 7.5" Turbo Coupes also have the disk brakes? Did any 86's have the 8.8?
2nd question, this really screwed me up, it looked like a "quad shock" had been cut off the diff, as well as a sway bar removed. I know the TC's didnt have the quad shocks, so maybe its an 8.8 out of a mustang. Did the TC's 7.5 have the rear sway bar? Did the TC 8.8's have the sway bar? or ONLY the Mustang GT's?

Thanks I hope I was clear with my questions.

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to stangnet. Finding an SVO is a good thing by anyone's standards.

First off, the turbo four was only for sale in the SVO package in '86.

It has a 7.5" rear end with disc brakes on all four corners. It had a beefier set of sway bars on the front and rear compared to the GT.

It's the only fox mustang to come with the five lug set up and had a specially designed 16" wheel set up for it.

Appearance wise, you should have a two step rear spoiler on the hatch, smooth 1/4 louvers, a special hood with a functioning cold air intake bump. The hood also extends farther down toward the bumper. You'll also have aero lights on the front. The taillights will have pin striping going across them too.

The SVO's did have the quad shock set up in '85 and '86. In '84 they had a torsion bar.

The 8.8" rear end came out in '87.

Last but not least. 1986 was the last year of the SVO and the last year for the turbo four engine until the 2015 mustangs.

Post some pictures, we'd love to see it.

Reactions: 1 user
I didnt find an SVO, I found a T-Bird turbo coupe in the Junkyard. Also your last statement is inaccurate about 86 being the last year for the 2.3 turbo, because it was in the Merkur XR4TI till 1989.

Ah. It's a t-bird.

My last statement was accurate in the subject of mustangs. 1986 was the last year for them.

So, backtracking a little here, I'm not sure about the t-birds. I'll let someone else answer your questions then.

Though pictures would still be nice.

Ah. It's a t-bird.

My last statement was accurate in the subject of mustangs. 1986 was the last year for them.

So, backtracking a little here, I'm not sure about the t-birds. I'll let someone else answer your questions then.

Though pictures would still be nice.
ah, ok. I thought you were referring to the engine alone. Ya there's tons of info about the 87-88 T birds, but nothing about the 85-86 TC's..
I pulled the pic off the site. Its crappy when I go back ill grab a better pic.
tbird_zpsysrrmew0.jpg

Last edited:
The 1986 TC would have had a 7.5" rear with quad shocks and drum brakes. I forget if it got the 9" or 10" drums.

That's what it should have had. Who knows if someone added the rear disks or swapped in an 87-88 rear end.

The seat bar mounts to the control arms, so you should be able to run one

In that case the diff was either swapped with a 88 TC or was converted to disk brakes.

I will be fully equipped to pull that diff next week if its an 8.8

A quick look at the differential cover will tell you 7.5 or 8.8.

If the tag is present, that would be even more help

T5s usually have some value. Not sure I'd put a premium on it due to the less common application, but if a yard told me $50 for a t5....I'd take it.

A quick look at the differential cover will tell you 7.5 or 8.8.

If the tag is present, that would be even more help

T5s usually have some value. Not sure I'd put a premium on it due to the less common application, but if a yard told me $50 for a t5....I'd take it.
I was wondering because it has different gear ratios than the other T5s. Better or worse?

I didnt find an SVO, I found a T-Bird turbo coupe in the Junkyard. Also your last statement is inaccurate about 86 being the last year for the 2.3 turbo, because it was in the Merkur XR4TI till 1989.
Dave smokes crack occasionally,..especially on Saturdays...probably will wake up in one of the local crack houses and slap himself in the head for not seeing that you stated that you had a TC in the first place....
Dave,..Dave,..Dave.....when will you let me help you? Can't you see that the crack is rotting your brain?:nonono:

Reactions: 1 user
Dave smokes crack occasionally,..especially on Saturdays...probably will wake up in one of the local crack houses and slap himself in the head for not seeing that you stated that you had a TC in the first place....
Dave,..Dave,..Dave.....when will you let me help you? Can't you see that the crack is rotting your brain?:nonono:
Pick on a guy while he feels like crap because of the flu, huh? No soup for you Mike, thirty days.
My brain isn't connecting on all synapses at the moment. His title and his first sentence set in my head that he was talking about mustangs. Some people misuse the term turbo coupe to include mustangs, even though the SVO only came with a hatch.

Pick on a guy while he feels like crap because of the flu, huh? No soup for you Mike, thirty days.
My brain isn't connecting on all synapses at the moment. His title and his first sentence set in my head that he was talking about mustangs. Some people misuse the term turbo coupe to include mustangs, even though the SVO only came with a hatch.
Sorry Dave,..I learned that you have the Dreaded Lurgy only after making my reply. I have heard that this flu is a very nasty one,..and can only sympathize and tell you to be careful, and get well.
I also learned that this flu is so bad that you can't spell synapse. Obviously, you did. Maybe your flu isn't the bad one then?:shrug:

** Edit,....So given your impaired status and until I've heard otherwise, I'm just gonna go ahead and edit the thread titles so that you won't assume things like the OP not knowing the difference between a true T/C and an SVO Mustang. (This guy says he likes Merkurs,....................Merkurs,... Dave.)
I'd have given him the benefit of the doubt based on that alone

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users