87-93 Replacing Front Ford Emblem

glowstang93

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Feb 9, 2003
Illinois
I am going to be putting on a new nose emblem this week and was wanting to know what the best way to do this would be. Is there one or two palnuts on the back of the emblem? Can you replace it without taking off the bumper cover? I did a search but came up with nothing. I am replacing it because I just replaced the rear one and now the front one just doesn't match due to being faded. Thank you in advance for your help.

• Sponsors (?)

I did a post on the rear, so I just copied it over to here. It is only on with adhesive and 3 locating pins. Very Easy!! Can you see how faded the old one was, I had no idea it was that bad untill I put them next to each other.

I just installed my new hatch ford emblem today. Very easy to do using Goo Gone, a plastic scraper and some dental floss. I was amazed to see how faded the blue was when held next to the new one. I will be ordering a new front one next week and changing that one too. Here are some pics for future reference for you all. It is an original Ford part from LRS. It has all 3 locating pins.

View attachment 474703

View attachment 474705

View attachment 474707

I beleive you can get to the nuts on the back by going from under the car. You will need a long extension and i beleive it is a 10mm nut. When i replaced mine on my 88 LX i just used the two sided tape to hold it on and have had no problems.

I reached up from the bottom and felt one alignment pin and two plastic studs with two nuts. Not sure yet if I have that deep of a socket, the studs were pretty long. I could probably cut them down some so a regular socket would fit onto the nuts. I'm going to call the nearest Ford dealer and see if they can get me one by Wednesday, if not I'll just order it from 50resto like the rear one. If anyone else has ever changed it, please add in how you did yours. Thanks!!

Ordered the part from the closest Ford Dealer that is about 30 minutes away. They will have the oval and nuts in by 0830 in the morning. I may or may not need new nuts, but better to be safe than sorry. The emblem was $23, a little more expensive than LRS, but the nuts were just a little cheaper. Its all good, I have some other things to pickup while over there anyway. The plastic studs are pretty long, so I may just trim them down some with a pair of cutters and use a standard size socket. I will use the nuts still because what if I ever have to change it again, it might be hard to get it off since it is in a recess spot on grill. I appreciate everyones posts and of course I will post how it goes and some pictures of what I can.

Replacing the Ford Oval in front on an LX.

1. use a 10 mm socket to remove the nuts from the back of the old emblem. You can get to them by reaching under the car and up. My socket was just not quite deep enough, so I had to put the socket on the nut and slightly engage the ratchet to the socket and loosen for first couple turns.

2. push the emblem pins from the back and take off the emblem.

3. position new emblem and push on the nuts to the plastic studs. Push them on and give them a little turn to start them by hand. The nuts will cut the threads onto the plastic studs.

4. thats it, didn't take long at all to put on.
New one on left and old on right.
View attachment 474201
New one, no threads
View attachment 474203
Old one, threads been cut from the nut when it was installed from factory.
View attachment 474205
Emblem removed.
View attachment 474207
New emblem installed.
View attachment 474209
Bag with part # if you order from Ford 87-93.
View attachment 474211

I really never noticed how the blue had changed form dark blue to the lighter blue over the years. I started this project because the rear emblem had started to get a little cloudy. So, might as well replace both of them. Here is a some pics of the rear emblem also. It is only held on by double sided tape with 3 locating pins.

View attachment 474213

View attachment 474215

View attachment 474217

View attachment 474219

Thanks for everyone's help, and I hope the pics will help someone later.:flag: