87 Foxbody 351w Timing issues

• Sponsors (?)

actually if i'm say pulling 18 insted of a normal 12 wouldn't that open it up more? it's deffinetly plugged into the meted vacuum port.
12 would be really low intake vac. 18-20 is normal. Something odd is really going on. I dont believe its the "engine" its something tied to your ignition in my opinion. I could be wront and its hard to figure out stuff when your not standing over it. Do you have a mechanic that you trust?

So last night i took it out and i turned the vacuum advance 3 more times counter-clockwise and it's barely there now .I'm going to try again tonight but that would be like 30 turns out. The car runs better than ever though super smooth and the top end feels flawless pulls to 5500 no problem. i know i will figure this out eventually but I was just hoping that something stood out to someone like the fact that i'm running egr heads on a non egr engine. Pretty sure i'm not the first but i will jet up one more size on my primaries I have to buy this demon carb kit because the primaries are different they have a metering rod in them the secondaires are regular Holley style. I'm just at work and board and when i get home i barely get time to take it out. I'm planing on eventually buying some AFR heads i would just hate for the same result. maybe i just need a good enough excuse to buy these heads. Hopefully this vacuum advance will dial down a bit more thanks for the help so far kz.

Reactions: 1 user
No problem at all. You’ll get it sorted. I run a bit advanced so I run 92/93 octane all the time. If you’re getting better results get full tank of 92/93 and see what happens

Ya it is lazier at 0 and the gas mileage sucks but it starts fine hot when at 6. at 8 it was slower but i started at 0 and worked my way up to 8 drive testing and when it slighty pinged i backed it off to 6. i'm going to try another few more turns (one at a time) on my vacuum advance I'm thinking now that since i got the distributor out of a f-150 that they would need alot more vacuum advance because of the weight. Plus i got 3.73's.

I do also run premium some times but when gas mileage was worse i could get like 40km off 15l that's like 18 miles for 4g. Maybe like 4mpg lol idk I'm Canadian. So Sunday cruising was costly. I'm almost double the gas mileage now so she's getting there.

They actually sell 94 ultra at a gas station around here and it still pinged slightly off of that. Only on light throttle but my top end was nuts off of that stuff without pinging so it has to be this vacuum advance diaphragm.

Reactions: 1 user