Paint and Body 87 vert under windshield lower molding - Sealant?

R82148V

May 26, 2020
I know I'm overthinking this...

Just took off the windshield lower molding for cleanup and paint. Some of that black sealant between the windshield and body is missing. Just wanted to fill it back up but confused what to use. Some say silicon, some say no.. liquid butyl but that stuff doesn't harden and will attract dirt. No urethane.. I have no idea what to use. looks like the factory just used black caulk

Thanks !!

• Sponsors (?)

I purchased a box of the black dum dum strip caulk when I was putting my 67 dodge back together.... Found all sorts of uses for it.. Handy stuff...

• PlusOne
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Will U go 'all the way around'? Remove it, paint the rust, or do more needed prep?
I hope to do so. Wish I had the stuff modern windshield installers use (some kinda snot).
Prep metal, apply the 'snot', place wind shield on there, wait, come back w/trim. They (if U look) dont even have the trim today. It just lays on there. Yet is still (we say in building trades) "upto code".

What is that stuff? Dont it come out ofa 'caulk gun"?

Will U go 'all the way around'? Remove it, paint the rust, or do more needed prep?
I hope to do so. Wish I had the stuff modern windshield installers use (some kinda snot).
Prep metal, apply the 'snot', place wind shield on there, wait, come back w/trim. They (if U look) dont even have the trim today. It just lays on there. Yet is still (we say in building trades) "upto code".

What is that stuff? Dont it come out ofa 'caulk gun"?
I picked this up the other day from amazon..
1644849917518.png

hafta stop in my local 'car glass guy's' and ask. Went to one's house (did a 'side job' for me, all hush, hush as
he used the company truck/equip/materials) but that was kinda ol skol (full frame surround).
My '85 'lays on' like modern & the trim has no hold-em-in properties (just an after thought & may B 'urathane protector'?)

I know I'm overthinking this...

Just took off the windshield lower molding for cleanup and paint............ I have no idea what to use. looks like the factory just used black caulk
me either. U R in the '79 - '95 forum where the technology changed at least once. An '85 stang is different than my '85 LTD (both fox). In that U have 3 pieces of external trim I believe (none at hood end) I have 4 (asa surround). If U want to do minimal work (I'd think you'd wanna 'do it right' instead) just caulk in some builder's silly cone. Use enuff a lill squirts out when pressing the blk metal trim down. It cleans up very easily (see directions on back of tube). Cut the tip small (ck sz of missing peace behind windshield) & pipe it in. Some recommend the Toyota product as very good too. As General sez above, there may B sharp shards of metal sticking up at a right angle from the surface of the body, around the glass to 'catch' the Blk plastic or metal trim. I saw none on mine but have not inspected well. Simply covered the trim (close to hanging loose) w/painters release tape then added gorilla tape over to seal out the winter weather (carpet looked wet) when backing off bring-'em-home-trailer. I'm sure it's a total mess and look to summer to rehab w/shield frame, caulk, & find 1 piece of trim (vertical drivers) as the culprit that may have started the whole deterioration. Just can't find that piece anywhere yet (same w/the '4eyes' - headlight bezels)...