88 AOD won't shift into 3rd Helpppppp

93GreenLX

Founding Member
Aug 22, 2002
Southern Maryland
I picked up an 88 GT w/ an AOD that was sitting for a few years and won't shift out of second. Replaced the oil pan gasket, grommet and filter. Checked all 15 valves in the valve body to ensure that they weren't being held up. A couple were a difficult to move, moved them in and out a few times and they freed up. Replaced pan and refilled with tranny fluid. Unfortunately that was no help. HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPP. Whats next?!?!

• Sponsors (?)

93GreenLX said:
I picked up an 88 GT w/ an AOD that was sitting for a few years and won't shift out of second. Replaced the oil pan gasket, grommet and filter. Checked all 15 valves in the valve body to ensure that they weren't being held up. A couple were a difficult to move, moved them in and out a few times and they freed up. Replaced pan and refilled with tranny fluid. Unfortunately that was no help. HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPP. Whats next?!?!

I think it may be the TV cable, gonna check it out tomorrow. If anyone has any other opinions feel free to post them. Now to find the DIY directions because the Ford Service Manual directions include a bunch of tools that I don't have

Well supposedly it ran fine and the guy drove it around once in a blue moon to make sure of this. Yeah I bet so since the was no TV cable grommet. It was an ebay buy and I will be pursueing their buyer protection services if I can't get it running fine and/or the guy won't refund me a portion of the money

I might be speaking out of my arse here, however, in my own personal car
( an oldsmobile, not a 5.0 ) with the same problem you are having, I needed a new fuel pump / sending unit. Apparently it wasn't providing enough fuel. Although that's probably not your problem, it's something you may want to check IF you are having hesitation at the point where the gear will not shift.