88 GT 5 lug conversion

• Sponsors (?)

I'm going to be doing the Cobra caliper conversion myself from North Race Cars. I haven't had rubber mounted to them yet but I am partial to 5 spoke 95 Cobra R rims.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for all the feedback on this. I do have a front 5 lug question. I've seen a couple of how-to's on the mod and there seems to be some discussion about the ball joint and replacing the stock 88 with an SN95 (I think MY 1994 - 1995) because of the shorter height, would eliminate the need to stack washers on it.

So the question here is can I use a ball joint designed for a 94/95 when I replace the spindles and do the front 5 lug?

Thoughts

I realize this is an older post but... It's getting close to spring time, axle has been stripped for new gears, parts are out at powdercoat, "all" parts have been ordered/received (I think:confused:) Finishing clean up on the wheels and thinking about tires. My plan is to go with https://www.firestonetire.com/tire/firehawk-indy-500/245-45r17 to use for the rear but test fit them on the front after the 5 lug work has been done up there and see how they fit. I'd like to run 245 all around but may need to go 235 in the front and 245 in the rear. I'd like to understand how much bigger the 91 wheel well is when compared to the 88. And for folks with more practical experience than I, if they feel that 245's will fit all around. I'm going to be running 1996 - 1998 GT "10 spoke / split 5 spoke" 17 X 8 wheels.

Please let me know.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about 245/45/17 all around. The 40's are 1" smaller diameter. Do you think 1/2" either side will be an issue? I'm hoping not but going with the 245/40's in the front might be a nicer look than the 235's. I don't want to change the rears because I've worked out stuff (gears etc) based on tht tire size.

A few spots where it will rub.

Inner fender area against the frame rail both front and rear, and usually on an Aero GT the tire may contact the rear spat, especially the 87-90 models.

With some 17x9 wheels, the rim itself might contact the a arm on the rear side

In a prior post, looking for emergency brake info, I mentioned that the upgrade on my 88 vert was about done. Well that upgrade is about as done as I can get it. It drives, stops and turns all so much better than before (thank goodness for that!).
Thought I would post one of the pictures I took of it. I'm pretty happy with the way that it came out (I have not done serious car work in decades, yes decades!) Still needs a few things and I'm getting the crew back together for some trim, weatherstripping and moulding replacement, not to mention fixing the quarter windows.
Let me know what you think
DSCF1608-2.jpg

Reactions: 1 users