Progress Thread '88 GT Hell Horse - All over the place

Im trying to learn, but as with any software there is for sure a learning curve. I definitely need to get a good pair of digital calipers as it will make it a lot easier to measure everything over my current standard reading pair

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Here are a couple pictures of the Intake Plate that I modeled and then printed:

Engine Plate.PNG

IMG_20190805_194040121~2.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
I mounted the intake plate to the Explorer Intake that I'm redoing. Quite happy with the way it came out. Looking forward to getting it all cleanup and painted now.

IMG_20190806_183645931~2.jpg

• Hell Yeah!
  • Winner
Now that the intake plate is completed I'm planning on starting the process of cleaning up the casting bosses/moulding, port out the intake to 70mm to it my TB, and gasket match the ports. I can then paint and put it away until I pull the engine for re-gasketing and installation of the Turbo.

I also started to work on the center console bezel as well. Its only a mock-up of the screen for fitment testing currently. Once it passes that part, I will then be moving on to the relocation of the HVAC Controls under it. Below is the mock-up 3D model that I will be printing, and it will house a 9" Touchscreen in it.

Got the 1st mock-up print of the touchscreen mount. Need to make some adjustments to the sizing. The print needed to be split in half to fit the printer for the second round. Hopefully should be able to mock-up the next phase tonight.

IMG_20190810_094146001.jpg

I was able to finish the top half of the center console bezel for the touchscreen to fit. I have mocked up the area for the HVAC controls to fit, but is taking quite a bit longer due to them not fitting through the radio opening. I will need to mount them behind the radio opening and then make new knobs.

Currently have the bottom part printing, so will be able to see how it all looks together.

IMG_20190811_111614900.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
I have put quite an extensive amount of time into modeling the bottom HVAC plate, which I am incorporating the text of each knob. The 1st print didnt show the text the best and needed to be increased. I have now since updated the model, and will be printing another one tonight.

Below is some of the mock-up for your viewing pleasure to see what I am working toward.

IMG_20190815_074032186.jpg
IMG_20190815_074006779.jpg

The latest printing came out a lot better than the 1st one did. I was able to get the lettering to print along with making it go around the Select option (Left-side). The plan is for this weekend to print the top touchscreen piece with my adjustments, and bonding all the components together as one bezel. Hopefully, I should have a final unit by the end of the weekend, and can start working on the HVAC Controls mount and Knob extensions.

IMG_20190816_092155715~2.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
looks like quick work with a sander and she will be nice and smooth. or do you plan on doing the acetone dip trick?

Upon further research the PLA filament that I am using doesnt react like ABS does, so I will be painting the lettering and then sanding it smooth and clear coating it for final protection.

thats exactly what i did with the plaques you made me. In retrospect i should have done more initial sanding with 120grit then painted, 400grit, clear coat.. then cut and polish.. you can see i did not get all the lines out of it.
20190815_194051.jpg

Last edited:
  • Winner
Not really much to show from the pictures above, but were able to tweak the model due to a couple items needing fixing. My OCD gets the best of me often, so having things off just a couple mm needed to be fixed. I have (2) of the (3) components printed for final assembly., which then I can start mocking up the HVAC mounting bracket and the new knobs.

IMG_20190818_150457394.jpg

I decided to take a break on the center console to actually work on the car itself. So I started on the front splitter idea that may turn into more of a belly/radiator boxing instead... not really sure just yet. I removed the front bumper as it needs a couple repairs to it due to little kiddos using it as a step stool to see in daddy's engine bay. I also removed the "temporary" radiator boxing I did 5 years ago that was from cardboard and Gorilla Tape. I am going to now make it out of sheet metal to also use it to mount my transmission cooler.

I also tried to test fit the A/C Condenser, but the one that I got from my uncle is not the right part. Its to wide, so I think it goes on one of his rangers. While I have everything torn apart I'm trying to correct some of my wiring I have done over the years when I young doing things incorrectly. So the Headlight harness is coming out to remove the stock 2G alternator wiring, old electric fan wiring is out, alarm siren wiring is out. Then I can get to the old rear battery wiring, O2 sensor wiring thats not needed bc of the MS.

Making slow progress, but are not in a hurry this time as it needs to be done correctly.

IMG_20190825_105939388.jpg

IMG_20190825_204020130.jpg

IMG_20190825_204100831.jpg

IMG_20190825_204126812.jpg

Update:

Now that I got my other black mustang back up and running I could refocus my attention to this one. Since the MS got pulled for the black mustang I decided to start tearing into the engine to sell off the old parts not needed for this project. While doing so I found a couple items that dont look very good.

I pulled the upper intake and the valve covers to find metal flakes in the oil. The Driver side front drain back hole had some old sludge and metal, while also the pin on the roller rockers looking like they are backing out. The Passenger side was even worse with cylinder #1 intake rocker hitting the valve cover baffle, pins backing out, and a little metal. I assume when I had the issue with the alternator not charging and driving it until it died rattled the valves pretty good. The valves on the passenger side move side-to-side and up-N-down a little when not under load.

Here are some pictures below of some of my findings.

IMG_20190908_145255616.jpg
IMG_20190908_140330982_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190908_145242938.jpg

The next steps is to pull the engine and get it on the stand. I can then pull the rear most main to check the bearings to see what they look like along with the rod bearings. @CarMichael Angelo I know that you have a LOT of great knowledge on engines and anybody else with feedback on this would be great. The engine still had "good" oil pressure when I parked it being 25 psi hot but for the past 15 years it has been running 38-42 psi hot so something is different or damaged.

• Surprised