88 GT randomly stalls -- like no fuel or park

sea1959

Aug 4, 2011
I have had this problem off and on for two years. The car will run great. I have taken it on several 700 mile plus trips with out problems for the first several hundred miles and then....

...suddenly the rpms go to almost zero and the car dies. If I let it sit for 4 or 5 min it will start but only run for a minute ot two. If I let it sit for 30 or 40 minutes it will usually run for another hour or so. Since this started I have replaced the Ignition control module twice and recently relocated it to the side fender; wall mounted in a heat sink. I have replaced the entire distr. and most recently the coil.

It happened again yesterday and I noticed that I was at 1/4 tank or less on fuel. As I think back, this has been the pattern. Is it posible that the fuel pump is overheating since the fuel level is low and it may not be covered with gasoline?

Any help would be valued and appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I have had this problem off and on for two years. The car will run great. I have taken it on several 700 mile plus trips with out problems for the first several hundred miles and then....

...suddenly the rpms go to almost zero and the car dies. If I let it sit for 4 or 5 min it will start but only run for a minute ot two. If I let it sit for 30 or 40 minutes it will usually run for another hour or so. Since this started I have replaced the Ignition control module twice and recently relocated it to the side fender; wall mounted in a heat sink. I have replaced the entire distr. and most recently the coil.

It happened again yesterday and I noticed that I was at 1/4 tank or less on fuel. As I think back, this has been the pattern. Is it posible that the fuel pump is overheating since the fuel level is low and it may not be covered with gasoline?

Any help would be valued and appreciated.

I have the exact same problem, mine is also a 88 gt.

I posted my problem on another forum a while back, tell me if this describes your problem?
http://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...7750-88-mustang-gt-5-0-randomly-stalling.html

They said it was either the Alternator or the fuel pump/fuel filter.

I checked my alternator and it was ok, but my battery was bad. It still happened after that.

I didn't do anything to the car also and it just stopped. I assumed that since I just had a fuel injection cleaning that maybe it was just burning dirty gas.

So far I've drove it for 4 weeks everyday and it's been fine.

No. My problem is much more erratic. It NEVER happens around town, only after at least an hour or so of driving. I really think it may be the fuel pump. When my gas gets down to 1/4 again. I am going to take a long drive and see if I can duplicate the problem. Thank you for the reply.

No. My problem is much more erratic. It NEVER happens around town, only after at least an hour or so of driving. I really think it may be the fuel pump. When my gas gets down to 1/4 again. I am going to take a long drive and see if I can duplicate the problem. Thank you for the reply.

Well I live in the country so by around town I mean 15 miles of corn fields lol. But good luck anyways, I know how frustrating that problem can be.

Had similar problems on my 89. Found multiple problems so will list ones not mentioned yet. The baffle in the gas tank had come loose so it would die in a turn. Installed a new gas tank. In hot weather, it would die because the MAF sensor got too hot...threw a code. Randomly stall at highway speeds....I had bought a Car Quest fuel pump assembly that had everything including the mounting hardware and wiring...their wires were not rated for gasoline so had tons of small slits and bubbled wiring. Installed a Walboro hi-flo pump in my original hardware and wiring. Also found my fuel line by the gas tank was melted since the factory zip tie had aged and broke allowing the fuel line and fitting to melt on my exhaust pipe. Tracked down replacement lines and fittings and re-zip-tied it away from the pipes. Additionally, I changed the distro and ignition module as the distro sensor seems to age and get weak...

The fuel line return has a rubber nozzle to spray fuel on the pump. You won't know if it's still there unless you remove the pump assembly.
It looks like a rubber duck bill. The actual purpose is to act as a one way check valve in case the car turns over and the return line is severed. It keeps gasoline from leaking back out the return line, reducing danger from fire...