88 Lx Rear Axle Damper Rubs New Tire

non_expert

May 23, 2013
I have an 88 LX (former state trooper car). I bought new 17" rims, 10" wide which rub the rear axle dampers.

can the dampers be removed and discarded or are they important to keep?
thanks!!

• Sponsors (?)

Control arms are simple. Old bushings can be a pain but there are simple ways around that. Dont let lack of a shop get in your way. This is one of those jobs that is perfect for a beginner. If you start to feel discouraged you can always just tighten everything back up.

Control arms are simple. Old bushings can be a pain but there are simple ways around that. Dont let lack of a shop get in your way. This is one of those jobs that is perfect for a beginner. If you start to feel discouraged you can always just tighten everything back up.

thanks. that's encouraging. I've had the car a long time and was slowly restoring it until I retired, so money is a factor now. It's part of me now so I feel the need to keep making incremental improvements as I can.

I had 16" rims, 3 spoke, which I could not seem to ever get properly balanced, hence the new, high speed balanced, 17" wheels. fronts are 9" wide, rear are 10" wide.
hope I can make this work!