Electrical 88 mustang all lights work except REAR signals

plantmeister

Dec 17, 2016
FL
Hi all,

My car was recently taken completely apart by a body shop, and as it's been put back together, we've run into a bewildering problem.

All front lamp lights work, including hazards, turn signals, everything. On the rear, I've got running lights, brake lights and reverse. However, when we turn on the hazards or turn signals, the relay works and the bulbs up front flash. No turn signals or hazards work at the back.

Where do I even begin tracing the problem? Do I look for a wire, or at a multifunction switch? Have no clue.
Any help is appreciated! It's the last thing holding up my car being finished. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Hi all,

My car was recently taken completely apart by a body shop, and as it's been put back together, we've run into a bewildering problem.

All front lamp lights work, including hazards, turn signals, everything. On the rear, I've got running lights, brake lights and reverse. However, when we turn on the hazards or turn signals, the relay works and the bulbs up front flash. No turn signals or hazards work at the back.

Where do I even begin tracing the problem? Do I look for a wire, or at a multifunction switch? Have no clue.
Any help is appreciated! It's the last thing holding up my car being finished. Thanks!
What year car? The wiring changed several times between 1979 and 1995.

Turn signals run down the left side of the car. Off the turn signal switch, both the rear parking lights, license plate lights and turn signals run through c216 located in the drivers kick panel area. It's a gray, 8-pin connector. You'll want to prove here to see if you have power going rearward to the turn signals
IMG_7098.JPG

Finally, it appears the front and rear turn signals each come from the turn signal stalk on different wires. You'll want to check these as well. Power to the turn signals is fed from the hazard switch

IMG_7102.JPG

IMG_7103.JPG

After looking at the harness diagrams, we realized we were testing the wrong ones. I wiggled the right rear socket and it came on! So I knew there was power back there. We switched bulbs and still only the right rear was working, no left rear. We checked the left rear socket and discovered a broken ground inside the socket. We checked the ground going to it and everything was good, so it has to be the sockets that are bad or going bad. Earlier when he checked the power to the socket, he must not have been pushing the pin on the tester far down enough.
I'll try to get ahold of a new set of sockets tomorrow and wire them in for a final check!