88 Mustang Rust On Frame Rail Below Left Shock Tower

Toolmaan

Jul 19, 2014
I just bought this car knew about this rust got the car at a really good price. What can I do to repair it? I am thinking I could pull the engine and pull the front frame assembly out clean it up and weld new metal in but that is a ton of work. Are repair sections available at all? I have searched and haven't found anything. I can't be the only one with this issue what has anyone done here to fix this? Thanks for any input!

Attachments

• Mustang rust.jpg
    Mustang rust.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 334
  • Sponsors (?)

Do you play bugle? It looks like time for Taps.
Seriously, the vintage guys fix worse, but this is structural, and you might need donor parts from three pieces of metal to get it done. Junk yard and fabrication is the only answer I know for this. I am not sure this is all reproduced yet. It can be patched, but it might never look right without major surgery.

I've had to do it with a couple of old Fox's that had this same issue. It's a pain in the ass, but it's also necessary. Get a straight edge on the inside rails before you go welding things up solid, clean it up well and have at it.

Another note of concern though....if the rust is that bad there, it's usually bad in other places as well. Before sinking any money into it, I'd look the car over really well first (floor pans, under the rear seat, quarter panel area, firewall, etc) for more rust and rot.

You may find out that this car is better suited as a donor and not a driver.