89 5.0 Ho Running Hot

Still driving my 89 LX Sport, now has over 201,000 miles on it, all original.. My first post dealt with sorting out the engine running hot. Replacing the fan clutch and power washing the radiator and a/c condenser solved that problem. I rarely drive it with the top up, hence engine smells are keenly apparent at lights, A couple of months ago I began getting a wiff of what I thought was the blended in our gasoline to keep emissions low in Houston. I suspected a fuel injector leak, but couldn't find one. Recently it began running hot again running the a/c, and when it cooled down I checked the coolant level and it was low. I couldn't find any evidence of a external leak, nor any coolant in the oil, so I decided to replace the thermostat, top off the coolant, get it hot and look for leaks when the system builds pressure after shut down. Glad I did, the leak turned out to be a very fine crack on one side of the bypass inlet, not enough to let liquid out, just big enough to loose steam. 'Replaced the thermostat and housing, topped off the coolant and the engine is now running a steady 180 F a/c on or off. Next up, fixing the base idle and getting the engine to not stall when the a/c is running.

• Sponsors (?)