89 Convertible Top latch replacement

JonnyUC

May 6, 2010
The passenger latch on my convertible has failed me. I will be picking up a replacement latch however I'm not quite sure how to change them out. I was wondering if there was any info on the net on how to replace the latch and if it's a easy task or not. I searched around these forums and google for info but all I can really come across is top replacement threads. Any help is appreciated. Thanks fellas!

• Sponsors (?)

IIRC there are three bolts or screws that hold the latch in. take out the screws and the latch assembly should drop right out. Put the new one in, tighten it down and enjoy a cold beer.

The passenger latch on my convertible has failed me. I will be picking up a replacement latch however I'm not quite sure how to change them out. I was wondering if there was any info on the net on how to replace the latch and if it's a easy task or not. I searched around these forums and google for info but all I can really come across is top replacement threads. Any help is appreciated. Thanks fellas!

I invariably forget there is a very small set screw holding the "hook" in place. Back that out before trying to unscrew the J to put it in the new latch.

After reading this thread, and a lot of other partial info "out there", wanted to say what worked for me today.

I raised the top to be straight up, about half way (some threads elsewhere suggested that the top had to be peeled back). This allowed slack in the top material to get access to the screws, and pivot nut. From there was able to get to the 3 screws that hold the latch base in place, by using a short #2 phillips bit in a 1/4" socket, quarter drive ratchet. Wasn't actually too bad

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user