Interior and Upholstery Convertible Latch J Hook not reaching its spot?

Hi everyone, I recently installed a new convertible top latch on my '87 GT because the old one broke. The issue is however, the J hook does not seem to reach where it needs to go to make a secure seal. Even when I push it forward and it latches, it is not hanging on by much. Does anyone know how to adjust/align these? thanks.

Attachments

• latchfar.jpg
    latchfar.jpg
    508.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Latchcloseup.jpg
    Latchcloseup.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Sponsors (?)

Most of the convertibles I have had throughout the years have needed a hand outside the roof " helping ' latch the top....
Is the close up pic with the latch in the open position? Can you adjust the "J" hook down a few turns?

Here are two pics I just took of my 83 latches.. I must confess that I have not had time to fool with this part of my car since I got it, so shooting from the hip
New parts I picked up " just in case" pic.... Do you have the guide pin installed too?

I unlatched my drivers side latch before I took the other attached pic... Compared to your pic, my J hook sits quite a bit lower and further back than yours seems to? When I latch it closed, the J hook has quite a bit of forward movement to grab the latching area...
DSCF1479.JPG
DSCF1478.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I have to grab the helper handle and pull down with my weight to get the hooks to latch in my convertible.

All depends on the gasket firmness and top alignment whether or not it slips right in. When new, it was likely ok but 20-30+ years later I’ve rarely encountered a convertible that didn’t need help latching

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users