Fuel 89 GT Fuel tank; ID this part please

CtotheJ

Apr 22, 2019
Houston, TX
Looks like I'm going to have to replace the fuel tank, fuel pump, and the rubber grommet for whatever goes in the small hole.
Problem is that I don't know what it's called, I'm not finding anything that matches what it looks like on Rockauto. The old one was like jelly and pulled apart in several pieces.
Can someone help me out please?
mystery_hole.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah the plastic part that goes in just fell out on it's own since the grommet was trash.
It looks ok on visual inspection. Is the Vapor Valve prone to failure or one of those parts that should just be replaced while I have the tank down?

Alright, thanks guys! I think I've got everything identified now.

I'll be replacing:
Fuel Tank + lock rings/seals
Fuel Pump w/ Housing Assembly
Fuel Sending Unit
Fuel Filler Neck Grommet
Vapor Valve
Vapor Valve Grommet
Fuel Filter

Keeping my fingers crossed that my fuel lines aren't clogged with the same junk that was in the bottom of the tank.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah the plastic part that goes in just fell out on it's own since the grommet was trash.
It looks ok on visual inspection. Is the Vapor Valve prone to failure or one of those parts that should just be replaced while I have the tank down?

Just test it. It's a one way check valve. vacuum should pull from the tank, but not be able to flow back into the tank. Put a rubber line on the nipple and test it

So I received the fuel pump replacement, but I don't think it's going to work. The bend isn't the same angle so it's not going to reach the gas in the bottom of the tank unless I just don't understand how it works.
Can anyone confirm? Should I send this back?
fuelpump.jpg

Looks bent, check out the curve in the fuel line, I would send it back.
You were correct. On further inspection it had actually bent so bad that it creased and opened up a small hole in the metal fuel line.

I've got another question for you that I can't find an answer to anywhere.

Once I go to install the tank back into the car, is it ok to just jack it up far enough so I can plug into the harness, then turn the key to check if the fuel pump is priming even though the tank is empty? It would only be for a second or two to hear the pump kick on and confirm it's working before bolting everything back up.

Well, I received the replacement and reinstalled everything, but unfortunately the car still won't fire up.
At least fuel is getting to the engine now.
I'm currently trying to make sense of the "Cranks but won't start" checklist and go from there.

Thanks for everyone's help here with the advice and answering my questions! It is greatly appreciated since I saved like $1000 by doing it myself.

The checklist can be kinda intimidating, diagnostics are different now than in my day (no cars did not have wooden wheels in my day) now there is noid lights where there was squirters.
tell us if your stuck and we'll walk you through it.

Reactions: 1 user
You did replace the fuel filter, and clean out/rebuild the injectors right? As nasty as the fuel pump bracket looks, I would remove the fuel rail, clean it and the fuel rail regulator, and replace the hose that connects the two sides