Fuel 89 GT Fuel tank; ID this part please

Well things got pretty hardcore this weekend, for me at least.

I wasn't able to get the sheared bolts out of the manifold with an easy-out, so I ended up drilling and tapping new holes just above the originals. I had always thought that would be a difficult thing to do in metal, but I stand corrected.

Once I got the fuel rail bolted back in place and put the upper intake back on, tried turning the key to "On", but fuel is now leaking from a different injector (either 3 or 4).

So I have a few questions now:

1. Do I have to put the upper intake back on to test if the injectors are leaking? Wasn't sure and didn't want fluids spurting out all over the place when I turned to "On".
2. When installing the injectors, is it best to seat them all in the rail first and then push them all down into the manifold together? I did the opposite and after thinking about it was probably wrong.
3. Can I unbolt only one side of the fuel rail (passenger side) and pull it up to get those 4 injectors out or do I need to unbolt both sides to prevent damaging it? The driver's side isn't leaking so I don't want to mess with it if I can help it, but also don't want to risk bending the rail. Even with both sides unbolted my fuel rail doesn't seem to want to move very much at all so I'm kind of scared to yank on it too hard.

• Sponsors (?)

As you were going through the injectors did you change out the O-rings? Also, as you reinstalled did you use any kind of grease or just put them in dry. I was having similar issues about a year ago. I pulled all the injectors and sent them to a place in TX to have them serviced, not really necessary but I did it anyway. Part of the service was replacing all the little O-rings. When I got my injectors back they came with a tube of dielectric grease and instructions to lube the injectors with it before installing them. I didn't have any problems with leaks at the injectors. I did have a leak in a different spot, but that was due to me messing up a different O-ring.

Reactions: 1 user
As you were going through the injectors did you change out the O-rings? Also, as you reinstalled did you use any kind of grease or just put them in dry. I was having similar issues about a year ago. I pulled all the injectors and sent them to a place in TX to have them serviced, not really necessary but I did it anyway. Part of the service was replacing all the little O-rings. When I got my injectors back they came with a tube of dielectric grease and instructions to lube the injectors with it before installing them. I didn't have any problems with leaks at the injectors. I did have a leak in a different spot, but that was due to me messing up a different O-ring.

No I didn't replace the injector o-rings. On visual inspection they all looked fine with no wear or cracks. I didn't use any grease either, I thought those were supposed to be lubricated by fuel only.
I'm pretty sure the top of the injector just isn't completely seated into the rail.

I'm wondering if the new fuel rail holes being above the others are making the rail sit too high. Might not be but when you first said that it was the first thing I thought about.

I'm wondering if the new fuel rail holes being above the others are making the rail sit too high. Might not be but when you first said that it was the first thing I thought about.

I doesn't look like it's forcing it to sit any higher. The bolt hole in the fuel rail is oval shaped, so I had room to drill the new hole above and still have the rail sit at the same height. If the original hole wasn't blocked off I could likely put a bolt in both of them at the same time.

When I had the rail completely unbolted I was pressing down with most of my weight to make sure everything was pressed together as much as possible and it wasn't really moving at all.

That sounds good. You should hear and feel a kind of "snap" when they seat. You only have to press on them till then and you should be good.

I found the culprit, injector 3:

I guess I must have sliced the edge off when I was trying to seat them the first time (incorrectly from bottom to top) because it wasn't like that when I took it out to clean it.
I'll pick up some o-rings tomorrow and give it another go.

Thanks guys!

Reactions: 1 users
Woooo!! :banana:

It's running again! Running like :poo:, but it's running.
I think I may need to test all my spark plugs with a light to make sure each one is working. I replaced all plugs and wires in the middle of all this other stuff.

Thanks again for all the advice and tips!