Interior and Upholstery 89 GT seat belt adjustment?

I bought my 89 GT new and the biggest complaint I've ever had with the car is with the seat belt.
I put it on and pull out on it (till I hear the click) then release it and it snugs up fine,
The moment I lean forward to do whatever, it loosens up and and will not tighten back up unless
I pull on it again, past the click, to get it to snug up.

Is there some way to adjust where that click point happens so that it will do it on it's own instead
of me having to pull on it all the time?

• Sponsors (?)

Are you talking about how the seatbelt can be locked so it's not under tension on your shoulder all the time? That's how they worked until 1990 when they switched to the constant tension type seat belt. I believe they changed the design because people were adjusting them too lose and it didn't protect them in a wreck. I like that feature in my '89. Nothing you can really do to change it other than going with new belts as stated above though.

1990 belts are the only direct swap into the pre-90 cars. The 91-93 belts mount differently.

I have 1990 belts in my 88 so they are constantly under tension. I don’t remember my original ‘88 belts being any different though

1990 belts are the only direct swap into the pre-90 cars. The 91-93 belts mount differently.

I have 1990 belts in my 88 so they are constantly under tension. I don’t remember my original ‘88 belts being any different though
Hmmm. I know they changed them in '90 because I bought a brand new '87 GT that the belts that locked on it. Totaled it and bought a brand new '90 LX notch and it pissed me off that the belts didn't lock. That and no tilt steering wheel. My current '89 has the same locking belts as my '87 did. I didn't know about the mounting change in '91, good to know. My '89 drivers belt is getting worn and doesn't retract very well and I will have to change it eventually.

Are you talking about how the seatbelt can be locked so it's not under tension on your shoulder all the time? That's how they worked until 1990 when they switched to the constant tension type seat belt. I believe they changed the design because people were adjusting them too lose and it didn't protect them in a wreck. I like that feature in my '89. Nothing you can really do to change it other than going with new belts as stated above though.

after I get it snugged up it's all good until I lean forward a bit to adjust the heater or
whatever and then it loosens up and does not retract with me when I lean back into
the seat.

IOW it doesn't stay against my chest with my movements. I have to manually pull on
it and release to get it to stay tight against my chest again...

If that's a design "feature", then it is what it is ... been living with it for 32 years, so it's not
the biggest deal in the world just thought I'd see if anybody knew something I don't...

The 89's had a feature that if you open the door, then the seatbelt retentions. If it gets sticky, some WD40 sprayed on the retention button located on the rear of the door frame and it's cable on the door may help

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 user
The 89's had a feature that if you open the door, then the seatbelt retentions. If it gets sticky, some WD40 sprayed on the retention button located on the rear of the door frame and it's cable on the door may help
i was about to ask a seat belt question but it is kinda been answered here i think, ive owned 2 89 gt's, the belts wouldnt retract for crap, i dont know how many times ive slammed the door on the belt clip because they wont retract... bak when i was a 40 year old idiot i hit a tree after dropping the clutch and bull-frogged across the road from my driveway and smacked a tree... belt didnt catch, my face smacked the mirror and i bent the steering wheel... if this was the design it was flawed... so the only fix is new belts... ??? or belts from a 90... ???

do you know if i buy new belts for a 89 will they be the same thing ive got, or will they tighten up and lock incase of a wreck... ??? replacements arent cheap...